boxing had its golden age for each weight? what about mma?

tfcfights

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
so basically boxing has golden ages like leonard hagler hearns duran
ali foreman frazier norton or even tyson holyfield foreman old bowe lennox lewis

and alot better examples

what about mma? If you had to pick a golden age for each weight class what would it be

hw the pride days were great but 2010 to 2012 maybe 13 was pretty stacked u had a older fedor carwin overeem killing ppl cain werdum jds mir at a better level then now big nog josh barnett sf gp going on

lhw I think historically chuck tito wandy shogun rampage randy and so many others during the pride ufc days was the best because they all fought and beat eachother

mw not sure on this one

ww bj penn matt hughes gsp 2004-2006 karo was busting on the scene too gsp wasnt just the lone champ matt hughes and bj penn were killers

lw right now anthony pettis benson gilbert cerrone rda nate ill will justin g. chandler alvarez khabib and so many more guys

fw right now aldo mendes connor frankie pitbull

below the divisions r still building womens mma i guess is in the golden age

I think MMA is a little too young to start putting labels. Bump this thread in 100 years.

i know ppl wpuld respond with this but if u had to pick

Well think of it like Boxing. It's like someone asking this question about Boxing in like the 1920s. Or someone in early Boxing arguing that so and so is the GOAT when Ali/Tyson (or this case future MMA GOAT types) haven't even been born yet.

It's too young a sport to say.

Well think of it like Boxing. It's like someone asking this question about Boxing in like the 1920s. Or someone in early Boxing arguing that so and so is the GOAT when Ali/Tyson (or this case future MMA GOAT types) haven't even been born yet.

It's too young a sport to say.

im looking at it in the time span we have to look at it

the excitement the rivalries the competition i can say right now atleast at hw and lhw we had glory years in the past lhw we have dominant champion now maybe cormier and gus can make this as compelling as the chuck wandy championship runs i agree but I just wanna do a on air segment on this so im looking at this in mmas short time span

im looking at it in the time span we have to look at it

the excitement the rivalries the competition i can say right now atleast at hw and lhw we had glory years in the past lhw we have dominant champion now maybe cormier and gus can make this as compelling as the chuck wandy championship runs i agree but I just wanna do a on air segment on this so im looking at this in mmas short time span

LHW seemed pretty popular when I was in high school from 2005-2009. Still my favorite weight class to this day.

LHW seemed pretty popular when I was in high school from 2005-2009. Still my favorite weight class to this day.

yea tht was my high school years to but i was 08 I dont see hw getting close to as deep as it was during the pride days or sf ufc days brock carwin reem randy big nog jds cain cormier coming up big foot when he was better barnett mir werdum

205 during the wandy chuck run waa just great the matchups were great

mw idk its tough

lw right now I dont think we will have another time were so much former big org champs r all fighting all the fights r great I think this is the glory days of lw

its a tough question but but i guess im looking at eras in this case as short 3 year periods

yea tht was my high school years to but i was 08 I dont see hw getting close to as deep as it was during the pride days or sf ufc days brock carwin reem randy big nog jds cain cormier coming up big foot when he was better barnett mir werdum

205 during the wandy chuck run waa just great the matchups were great

mw idk its tough

lw right now I dont think we will have another time were so much former big org champs r all fighting all the fights r great I think this is the glory days of lw

its a tough question but but i guess im looking at eras in this case as short 3 year periods

The 205 title changing hands so many times from Chuck to Jones was pretty exciting. I honestly think 185 is getting really popular now due to it's current depth, and the dethroning of Anderson Silva.

hw: never
205: never
185: now
170: never
155: now
145: never
135: never
125: never

HW: Fedor/Nog/CC
LHW: Liddell/Randy/Tito
MW: Anderson/Weidman
WW: BJ/Hughes/GSP
LW: BJ/Pulver/Uno
FW: Aldo/Edgar
BW: Dillashaw/Cruz
WBW: Rousey......
FlW: Johnson/Dodson?
WSW: Esparza/Namajunas

Everything below LW is way too young to say anything remotely meaningful. But for HW, I'm pretty confident with that era.

HW: Fedor vs anybody
LHW: Liddell/Randy/Tito
MW: Anderson/Weidman
WW: Hughes/GSP
LW: BJ/Edgar/Maynard
FW: Aldo/Edgar
BW: Dillashaw/Cruz

WAMMA: Cyborg/Rousey all the rest are look like amateur night at the state fair.

HW and LHW during PRIDE years and it continued to the UFC but slowly ended as that previous generation was getting older.

MW and LW are in best ever right now but WW was hurt a bit when GSP left.

Below that it's too early to say.

MW-right now

Could well be, theres a lot of talent at the top right now but I'm guessing Anderson, Machida and Vitor haven't got masses of time left and even Jacare and Romero whilst not having the same milage are getting on as well.

HW I think definitely the mid 00's, the big problem today I would say is that as with boxing your never likely to get a great deal of HW talent from the US due to the draw of other sports for large athletic men, something that isn't the case in most of the rest of the world where soccer is king as size is a non issue. In the Pride era there was much more focus on drawing in talent from Europe and to some degree Brazil as well which formed the backbone of the division, that talent generally hasn't been replaced.

Back