Boxing for Muay Thai

eaglewrestler27

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you noticed that the Dutch seem to destroy everyone at muay thai? And the first person ( Anuwat Kaewsamrit) to ever win the Lumpinee, and Rajadamneon titles is a great boxer. I feel that developing a great combination between punching and kicks is what makes these people accel.

My question is what do you consider to be beneficial boxing techniques that could be applied to muay thai. Currently I train muay thai and want to work in 2 extra days of pure boxing a week. I obviously punch in muay thai, but I want some time just dedicated to my hands for improvement.

I think some things don't carry over so well due to the ability to kick (like for instance some slips where your arm protects your sides, a good mid kick would break your arm doing that.) But I am a shorter stockier fighter and things like over hand rights and body shots would work really well for me.

So when I go to boxing class as a shorter stocky muay thai fighter what should my practice aims be?

learn to slip punches but keep your arms crunched at either ur side or next to ur head as u slip because as soon as a thai fighter see's u drop they will kick... slipping punches is effective in thai fighting but never lower your head or lean... just slip using ur legs and body

i agree with the author.... i have personally found that boxing is a very valuable techinque overlooked now a days... if you notice the chuteboxe guys are all using it more now... (brought in papo)... etc.

look at Andy Sauwer... he was able to been all the K1 LW's... with his boxing skills and techniques... etc.

you can't limit what your hands are... there are extremely powerful, accurate, fast, and decently ranged weapons that the human body has... they are high up on the body so they are closer to the targets... if you can master the punching.. i think you can go a long way...

I agree; watched some Thai tourney vids awhile back, and I could see a definite lack of "boxing", it was obvious that those fighters where a bit over-eager to reach the clinch range and start elbowing.

Go for it. It can't hurt to get a little special help on a certain part of your game. That's why people hire trainers: to help them work on the things they need help with.

Really getting the footwork down is what boxing really helped me with, plus your hand combinations will be much smoother and you can add kicks to them to make them much more deadly. Training boxing will help your reflexes as well. Keep it simple when training boxing, learn to throw jabs while moving and never stay in the same place this will make you an immensly better striker.

K1 rules is not Muay Thai...the clinch is a great counter to punching which is why you see MT practioners who are not as good with their hands. Mt champs come in all flavors...for every Samart who has great hands, there is a Sackmongkol who has great kicks or a Diesel Noi with superb knee strikes.

Back