boxing for mt

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was wondering the best ways to defeat a muay thai fighter as a boxer.what are the keys for a boxer to go in beat one.I've been boxing for a while and doing muay thai,I'm looking to compete in mma and was wondering the best ways to utilize my boxing skills

if he kicks you punch and vice versa , theres probely a chance that hell get the best of you if you just stay in a boxing stance becase youll have your front leg turned inward so all he has to to do is kick it with his front leg and your on the ground

Four punch combos. Dont take any leg kicks, don't get clenched, hands high for head kicks.

MT is tricky and is made to overwhelm other styles with raw power and brutality. Be careful.

oh fuck yes, i love these threads.

You have be patient, a lot of boxers find it so enticing to just leap inside a MT guy's posture because it's open, but then they just get trapped and knee'd into oblivion

youre going to have to stay away from their power side, and keep distance.

Say a right kick is thrown from an orthodox stance, throw a left hook with your weight going left, and you can usually follow it up with a right.

Be careful jabbing, it leaves you open to body kicks.

Most of all, keep your posture tight.

If he throws a kick of any sort and fails to move off
centre and recover back to fighting stance - let your
hands go big time.

Also, if he thinks he can walk in like a zombie and
get a tie up, make him regret it with hooks and uppercuts.

Learn to check kicks.
Learn to block body and head kicks with your elbows and arms.
Learn to pull back from head kicks .

Learn to counter kicks from all defensive move listed above.

Check kick, counter with punches
Block kicks counter with punches
Pull back from head kick and counter with punches.

Learn to defend against the clinch and the different ways to counter and avoid it.

so your weight is going directly into his kick??

No, don't do that unless you can absolutely stuff the kick in close. ALWAYS move in the direction the kick is going. Kick loses power beyond the end of its range.

You are facing opponent in orthodox stance (both have left leg forward), he is at 12 o'clock and you are at 6 o'clock. If Kicker throws right round kick, (kick will be rotating counter clockwise at you), then you move counterclockwise also (you should move to your right circling the kicker.)

This does not apply to leg kicks. You must check leg kicks, avoid them or punch off of them.

Don't duck into a knee

this. if you have to duck under a hook stay postured up so you don't take a knee. bend at the knees not with your back.

don't drop your hands for any reason, punch from your guard, hands down could result in a head kick. keep your elbows in.

don't square off too much when you're at a distance because he'll get you with push kicks. in fact push kicks are a common defense against a puncher trying to close the distance

so your weight is going directly into his kick??

If youre stepping inside, the shin will fall above your thigh/knee.

Either way, i meant as a counter, after it's checked, moreso than a direct reaction

Give him angles too. Alot of MT fights are toe to toe, they might not have seen much boxing angles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back