Boxing for MMA

Chris Kimmerly

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
I know throwing the hands in boxing is different in MMA. SO what are the differences and what type of combos, techs, or drills should a person do to develop their hands for MMA.

basically the same as boxing excapt you don't weave so low, lest you get kneed to the face or taken down.

shorter combos, also drill wise strike and sprawl right after

also you should be more "squared" with your opponent to defend against takedowns.

i would say the only difference is hold your hands lower in case you want to shoot or to help your sprawl. the combos i would say 3 punch combos use alot of straights, i notice they arnt used enough i think in mma and when they are use are very effective. also lots of body shots they will take the gass out of your opponent and the more tired he gets the better your chances. gomi uses them and look how hes doing.

One of the problems I feel in mma is that guys don't throw enough combos. Whenever they're standing (okay sweeping generalization) most are looking to throw bombs...MMA has a lot of wide looping hooks (ala chuck lidell)...I'm very interested to see a guy with very good hands come into mma...I'd like to see more straights within combinations, as well as body shots.

Morgano said:
One of the problems I feel in mma is that guys don't throw enough combos. Whenever they're standing (okay sweeping generalization) most are looking to throw bombs...MMA has a lot of wide looping hooks (ala chuck lidell)...I'm very interested to see a guy with very good hands come into mma...I'd like to see more straights within combinations, as well as body shots.

the problem with throwing combinations in MMA is that you can be clinched or taken down.

guys like Bas Rutten had the right idea....start doubling up on the combos when youve got them hurt, up against the fence/ropes or in the corner....if you come out there trying to throw 4,6,8 friggin punches in a row, youre gonna get stuffed, clinched, or taken down.

Shorter combos do better in an MMA situation....if you got the guy hurt, THEN open up on him.

also, I think there should be fewer feeling out shots in MMA....if you throw a leg kick, or a jab, and its not intended to bait your opponent into coming at you, you should throw that kick or jab with bad intentions.

Cro-Cop is someone who does this very well. However he has often been too reserved in the past....this has come from a lack of confidence in his own grappling ability I believe. But he has gotten better at it.

I think that slipping and parrying should definitely be practiced more.

and theres nothing wrong with bobbing or weaving if you have to...so long as you have your hands up when you do it...

Think of it...grapplers duck thier heads all the time, with arms outstretched...and they dont ALWAYS get caught with a knee....although it does happen.

Good post Twisted and Morgano. I think three punch combos of the straight variety should be used more. When these connect heavy then you can lay down the big bombs, the big hooks and uppercuts. But they are used way too much, too soon by MMA fighters who don't have their opponents stunned enough.
Its a lot easier to recover from a straight punch and defend the shoot then it is from a big hook because you just have to drop your elbow down. From a hook you expose your side more and it takes longer to reverse the motion and get your hand back across.
I think too many MMA'ers are just looking for a lucky punch with their head down swinging wild.

the straight punches are a good point too....

a big thing to think about is the fact that MMA gloves are NOT boxing gloves....there are way more holes you have to cover. and if you fluster someone with a stiff jab, that opens holes big enough to sneak in a hard hook, uppercut, or punch right through a flimsy gaurd with a hard cross.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
the straight punches are a good point too....

a big thing to think about is the fact that MMA gloves are NOT boxing gloves....there are way more holes you have to cover. and if you fluster someone with a stiff jab, that opens holes big enough to sneak in a hard hook, uppercut, or punch right through a flimsy gaurd with a hard cross.

This is a good point, also you sometimes see some fighters train their standup wearing 16oz gloves (Ken Shamrock, Vitor Belfort) and thus can get used to the extra prtection covered by the larger glove, so they might have a slightly lose guard even before they get hit.

Morgano said:

well alot of people told you why mma guys do not USUALLY throw large combos like boxkers or kickboxers. Now i will tell you why alot of MMA guys are looking for "bombs"

The big looping (bomb) hook sets up freestyle takedowns and the threat of takedowns allows an opening for that big hook (i.e Randleman vs cro cop/ Hendo against other guys). The guys who do use extensive boxing combos have a great wrestlin/judo base so they are not afraid of being taken down or if they are taken down they know they can get back up. As for Chuck... WHEN he faces good strikers he tightens up his punches and throws more straights.

Karithonov throws nice combos and uses a lot of straights. Im really lookin forward to see him fighting Cro Cop, Fedor etc.
I was pretty surprised, that Fedor pretty much kept to his looping punches against Cro Cop and still dominated him .

Back