Boxing - Finding your style

mobeck

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to boxing, have a few months of hard training under my belt, and have run into a couple problems. Just hoping some of you guys with more experience might be able to offer some advice.

At my gym, there isn't anyone quite my size. I mostly spar with guys bigger than me, and occasionally smaller. Because of this, I've found it difficult to really get a feel for the style I best fit into. I know it's not necessarily good to have just one style, but I feel like I'm at a point where it might be beneficial to work on a more stylistic approach to the sport so I have some goals to work on when I am in the ring (ie: getting inside for infighting, or moving and jabbing etc.)

With the bigger guys, I always find myself out of range and unable to land any good combos, so rather than finding out where I fit in style-wise, I'm mostly on the defensive.

So just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or stories about how you found your niche, so to speak.

Are you training to fight in MMA or pure boxing?
I think you should be more concerned with what you plan to do rather than primarily relying on a comprehension of your opponent's measurements. Your thread is confusing.
My niche? I try and out box them by sticking my jab and conditioned footwork.

I'm with Chonbody. 'Style' shouldn't be your concern, tactics should be. Learn what you need to do to get in range on the bigger guys, and to stay out of range of the smaller guys. Tactics and strategy can change, depending on the opponent. Counterpunch the tall guy, or keep the short guy at a distance with your jab. Learn what works in all situations.

I'm a newbie to boxing, have a few months of hard training under my belt, and have run into a couple problems. Just hoping some of you guys with more experience might be able to offer some advice.

At my gym, there isn't anyone quite my size. I mostly spar with guys bigger than me, and occasionally smaller. Because of this, I've found it difficult to really get a feel for the style I best fit into. I know it's not necessarily good to have just one style, but I feel like I'm at a point where it might be beneficial to work on a more stylistic approach to the sport so I have some goals to work on when I am in the ring (ie: getting inside for infighting, or moving and jabbing etc.)

With the bigger guys, I always find myself out of range and unable to land any good combos, so rather than finding out where I fit in style-wise, I'm mostly on the defensive.

So just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or stories about how you found your niche, so to speak.

Well, most of the decent boxers in the history of the game have been out-fighters. So, just playing the odds, thats probably what's going to work for you also. Work on jab, cross, peek-a-boo guard, and footwork. Drill and spar till that works for you and then mess with other stuff.

You don't develope a "style" until you are good enough and confident enough to have a ring attitude. This takes a lot of time and practice. It's like anything else. If you learn to play the guitar, you learn the cords, notes, and some songs, but you don't actually develope a "style" until you get to know your insurment REAL well... it takes time and practice.

Learn to adapt to your opponent. one style might work against one but not another.
the ability to adapt is the greatest style

Your style forms by using strikes, combinations, tactics and stratagies that work for you. How you use them and how you fight is what makes your style.

Back