Boxing: Defense/Blocking the right hand. Are these techniques correct?!

Oh Mah Gawd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some of these defenses against the right hand seem rather strange and dangerous to me.

"Roll with the punch" - How?! Seems like a high percentage failure rate.

"Block with the shoulder" - In theory it sounds like a good technique. Im still having trouble with it. Maybe I just need more practice.

I prefer to slip out of the way of the punch and use footwork to evade the right. If I have to I I block it or catch it. I would like to learn to roll and block right hands with my shoulder but the techniques are not working for me thus far...

Ideas?

In this video it doesn't even look like he is aiming for the kids head. I can catch a punch on my shoulder too when someone is trying to hit my body. I don't know about my head though...
YouTube - right hand defense boxing training

I like some of the ideas in this video except for the "roll with the punch" or the "block with shoulder." There are some funny parts to this video
YouTube - Straight Right Defense Training for Boxing

How do you defend against right hands in boxing?

edit: nvm i didnt read your post good enough

Last edited:
There are several methods that you can use to block/defend against a right cross.

Personally, I prefer to do one of the following:

Method A
- Slip to the Left + simulataneously take a step forward (at a 45 degree angle) with my lead leg
- Counter with Left Hook to the body/liver.

If you practice it enough, you'll eventually mesh both parts together into one fluid movement. If done correctly with enough power, you can force the opponent to drop his hands and then capitalize by throwing a left hook to his head.

Method B
- Shoulder block (with left shoulder)
- return with your own right cross

It takes some practice to nail it correctly but this is really effective once you get it down. Blocking it with your left shoulder lets you gain power and sets you up with enough torque to unleash your right hand. Again, try to do both in one fluid motion for best effect....

Last edited:
There are several methods that you can use to block/defend against a right cross.

Personally, I prefer to do one of the following:

Method A
- Slip to the Left + simulataneously take a step forward (at a 45 degree angle) with my lead leg
- Counter with Left Hook to the body/liver.

If you practice it enough, you'll eventually mesh both parts together into one fluid movement. If done correctly with enough power, you can force the opponent to drop his hands and then capitalize by throwing a left hook to his head.

Method B
- Shoulder block (with left shoulder)
- return with your own right cross

It takes some practice to nail it correctly but this is really effective once you get it down. Blocking it with your left shoulder lets you gain power and sets you up with enough torque to unleash your right hand. Again, try to do both in one fluid motion for best effect....

^ sometimes i can do that ALL day and i keep hearing Roy Jones's "Counter right hand......Counter right hand" in my head !

lol

If you want to truly learn you need to join a gym.

Some of these defenses against the right hand seem rather strange and dangerous to me.

"Roll with the punch" - How?! Seems like a high percentage failure rate.

Rolling with the punch is more of a worst case scenerio and last chance at defense its not really meant as an effective way of boxing defense.

Sense boxing is very visual, watching opponents arms and shoulders to see when punches are coming and also considering you dont have to watch for kicks. If a punch is past the point of you being able to slip or block any other way and is coming at ur face than rolling with the punch is basically the last thing you can do to take some of the power off the punch before it lands.

I would recommend not trying to roll with a punch as a way of boxing defense but rather train to get good at it(with the help of a sparring partner who will not try to hurt you) and use it if its completely necessary.

I learned to shoulder roll in a manner somewhat like those videos and it held me back unnecessarily. I don't like that instruction because it makes the student feel like they are learning a secret technique and when they try it in sparring they wonder why they get tagged.

It would be better to say, "Hey, doesn't it make sense to keep your chin tucked behind your shoulder? And isn't it a good idea to tighten that guard when your opponent punches so you don't have to duck and weave every feint?"

Best way to block the right hand:

1'st off- have your hands up, chin tucked, shoulders relaxed. Those are the basics, after that, there are several ways to defend the right (assuming you're a righty as well); you can parry (block w/ your lead hand); you can slip to the left and counter w/ a hook, as someone else mentioned; you can also slip + change levels and counter with a right straight to the body.

First thing's first though, chin tucked/ hands up.

Didn't watch the videos, but as a fighter, you do need to learn how to take shots on the shoulder and other parts of the head in order to have a solid defense.

You need to be comfortable enough with your defense to weather a storm and counter back. Over time, you'll learn where your head or shoulder should be and you'll be able to see where the next shot is coming from.

Once you learn to be confident in your defense, you wont flinch when your opponent opens up and you'll instinctively know how to minimize the damage

Back