Boxing Coach Profiles/Styles

kookakewla

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are few famous boxing coaches/trainer out there today and I've always wondered what makes these different from each other and what set's them apart from others to be able to mold fighters into world champions.

Like fighters, trainers themselves have their own styles of training their own do's and dont's. With that said, can any give a comparison on the TOP trainers of today of specific trait that instill into fighters that we see in the ring.

One thing remember back then, Oscar was asked one of the differences from X trainer to his new trainer .. (not sure who). He said he one difference was keeping his fist open so he can throw a faster jab.

I like this thread.

this is how I see them and their styles.

Steward- Very technical. most of the fighters I have seen that he has trained have been very straight forward in what they do. Everything comes behind the jab. I mean everything start with the jab and the great straight right-hand. He seem to be one of the best HW coaches I ever seen.

Nacho- seem to be very counter-puncher. some of the fighters he has trained tend to be counter-puncher ,but since they are Most Mexican fighters they are different then most counter-puncher in that then tend to take a hit to give a hit.

Bother Naseem- master strategist. He seem to have a plan to beat any fighter but we still have yet to see if he can get most of his fighters to execute his game plan. Very new to the head position and hoping for great things from hims.

They are other trainers out there like Mayweathers, Roach, The chick that train Kirkland, but these are the first to pop in to my mind.

I like this thread.

this is how I see them and their styles.

Steward- Very technical. most of the fighters I have seen that he has trained have been very straight forward in what they do. Everything comes behind the jab. I mean everything start with the jab and the great straight right-hand. He seem to be one of the best HW coaches I ever seen.

Nacho- seem to be very counter-puncher. some of the fighters he has trained tend to be counter-puncher ,but since they are Most Mexican fighters they are different then most counter-puncher in that then tend to take a hit to give a hit.

Bother Naseem- master strategist. He seem to have a plan to beat any fighter but we still have yet to see if he can get most of his fighters to execute his game plan. Very new to the head position and hoping for great things from hims.

They are other trainers out there like Mayweathers, Roach, The chick that train Kirkland, but these are the first to pop in to my mind.

If you had to switch trainers/fighters around which fighter and trainer would you pair together?

Personally I would go with Cotto/Roach. I think Roach has a knack for aggressive fighters.

If you had to switch trainers/fighters around which fighter and trainer would you pair together?

Personally I would go with Cotto/Roach. I think Roach has a knack for aggressive fighters.

Actually I think that is a bad match up. I think Cotto is best served with Steward. He has really good boxing skills and needs someone to remind him of that and to polish him up. I think with Roach's fan friendly offensive style would ruin Cotto. Cotto tend to go to the brawl when he has to but I think it would best serve him to stay calm and just box.

I would want to put someone like Paul Williams with Steward, some to teach him how to fight tall and use his range better. Teach him how to jab and two punch combos instead of 5-6 punch combos.

Back