Boxing bag question

ToMpy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm thinking of buying a (kick)boxing bag to use in my cellar.
But i'm not really sure how tall the bag should be, how heavy og what to fill it with.
I watched the Bas Rutten MMA workout DVD and the bag he uses looks like a prefect boxing bag! It also seems to be filled with water and it's pretty tall! Anyone have any recommendations or tips?

Thanks alot for any help :icon_chee

are you talking about hte wavemaster free standing ones? if so, I hope you arent

cause they really suck. It moves around so much and the water leaks too

hi man thanks for the response. I don't know the name, but it's the one Bas Rutten uses in MMA workout dvd when he shows how to use his mma workout tapes on a bag :)
If that one is crap i'm open for recommendations

are you talking about hte wavemaster free standing ones? if so, I hope you arent

cause they really suck. It moves around so much and the water leaks too

I've used a wave master hanging bag for the last 3 years and it has never leaked. Heck, I've never even had to re-fill it... I agree that the free standings ones don't look like they would work that well unless you only hit them with really wimpy punches and/or kicks.

There are both free standing (with a water filled plastic base) as well as hanging water filled bags.

I started with a wavemaster type one with the water filled base. As mentioned it moves around. If you filled it with sand I think you'd be less likely to move it, but I never bothered with that and now have a Title hanging bag in my garage.

If space is limited and you can't have a bag hanging in place all the time, the water filled base is convenient because it's easily moved out of the way and into a corner etc.

Ok, be sure you measure right before you go off buying a bag for kickboxing. Keep in mind that they need to hang a few inches off of the floor (Banana/Muay Thai) and need about a foot for clearance from the ceiling. If if you're going with a 6' bag, make sure you have 7-8 feet of clearance.

As far as what to fill it with... HAHA, I've seen them filled with EVERYTHING... some people have gone down to Lowes and bought the insulation that you have blown in your walls, I've seen others fill it with old clothes. Actually, I've seen that done a lot. Ghetto, I know.

My experience with water filled bags... the bladders break after 2 months. Maybe I'm just that badass, but I'm willing to bet not. Not to mention, they have a real weird bounce when you hit them (hanging water filled bag).

Full Contact Outlet

As far as what to fill it with... HAHA, I've seen them filled with EVERYTHING... some people have gone down to Lowes and bought the insulation that you have blown in your walls, I've seen others fill it with old clothes. Actually, I've seen that done a lot. Ghetto, I know.

My experience with water filled bags... the bladders break after 2 months. Maybe I'm just that badass, but I'm willing to bet not. Not to mention, they have a real weird bounce when you hit them (hanging water filled bag).

Full Contact Outlet

Full Contact Outlet

Full Contact Outlet

Full Contact Outlet

Full Contact Outlet

im getting one custom made for me (a muay thai bag)

the fill they use is damp at first and they really pack it in there in stages

Nice.... stupid thing... sorry guys.

Are these types of bags ok?? Title Grappling Dummy Heavy Bag - 100lbs

I'd like something that I can not only punch and kick, but also throw hard upper cuts and knee strikes into. I currently use an upper cut bag attached to my normal heavy bag for these, but it is really soft and moves around a bunch when I am hitting it w/ upper cuts.

I currently use a 70lb bag attached to a stand. What I don't like about my setup is a) I have to be cautious when throwing kicks so I don't accidentally clips the stand and break my foot and b) the 70lb bag moves more than I would like when I am punching or kicking it hard.

I'm thinking of going with a 100lb or larger bag and hanging it from the steel I-Beam in my basement. Any recommendations?? I only have about about 7 ft or less of vertical space (i'm 6'4 and the beams are only a few inches above my head), so I don't think a full 6ft bag will fit...

These are actually pretty nice bags... they hang about 5 feet from the top of the chain to the floor, so you would have about 2 feet of clearance on the floor. The 140lbs has about another 5 inches in length to it. They have a pretty solid feel to them, and don't tend to flail around as much during heavy sessions.

If you really wanted to, you could make a 6' bag fit, you would just have to shorten the chain (easy to do with a nut and bolt). That would also keep it pretty still, but the noise might be a bit annoying. A rubber hose helps with that though.

I understand the stand issue... when you start going all out, it can be a pain to have to worry about breaking your foot on them.

Full Contact Outlet

I have the 140lb version of this and really like it. From your description, I'm guessing your ceiling is 7 feet or a bit less, you'd need to take most of the links out of one to get it hanging at the right height for you to hang it so the top was close to head level. I've got bolt cutters and it made quick work of the chain that came with it. If you don't own bolt cutters, simply take the hanging chains (mine came with it) to home depot and "test" their bolt cutters. Make sure you hang it and mark how much to cut.

Back