Boxing as a Southpaw

MMA boy

White Belt
Reaction score
So i am always getting countered when i throw jabs... tips? I almost always have reach advantage.

Countered with what?

southpaws often lead with there head for some reason, not all.
im guessing he is getting you with a straight right or left hook, as he should be doing to a southpaw

So i am always getting countered when i throw jabs... tips? I almost always have reach advantage.

I'm assuming you get countered with the right hand of your opponent if you are facing an orthodox fighter. What you can do is

1) jab, jab, and slip your head to their right.

2) Jab, SLIDE to their right, so that you are angled to throw a left straight at the side of their head. (Sorry this might be kind of hard to visualize)

Use your feet more to keep that reach advantage so you won't get countered.

counterd by left hook

That means either you're not bringing that right back fast enough, or you're dropping your right when you bring it back, or you need to bring up your jab so that your bicep covers your chin when your arm's fully extended.

That means either you're not bringing that right back fast enough, or you're dropping your right when you bring it back, or you need to bring up your jab so that your bicep covers your chin when your arm's fully extended.

im tall for my age so i always have to sorta punch a little bit down. im like 6 foot and 15.

You don't need to punch down if you're tall. That's a myth. What you need to do is lower your elevation slightly and jab normally. Being as you ARE tall even if you bend your knees sufficiently you should still hold a height advantage. I'd wager odds that if you're punching downward then you're leaning forward to do it. When you lean forward you bring your face closer to the other guy, into his firing range. If you need to get close you move your feet close, you don't lean. And if you need to hit a smaller guy you bend your knees, you don't reach down. If you need a reference, check this out:

Note the angle Vitali jabs at. He bends his knees a bit, and his jab comes from under Adamek's line of sight. Which is why he had so much trouble defending against it. In contrast the right hand comes downward, but he doesn't lean in far and compromise balance to deliver either punch. In that fight the one moment he did compromise balance, he fell over. If Adamek would have thrown a punch right then it would have been counted a knockdown.

The key difference here is as a Southpaw, your right jab should travel either over their right hand, or right up between the gloves, depending on how they hold their hands. Your right shoulder should be defending you from hooks, at least up to the cheekbone. But if you're reaching then your head is likely coming up and being fully exposed. Keep it down and a hook should bounce off your shoulder.

You don't need to punch down if you're tall. That's a myth. What you need to do is lower your elevation slightly and jab normally. Being as you ARE tall even if you bend your knees sufficiently you should still hold a height advantage. I'd wager odds that if you're punching downward then you're leaning forward to do it. When you lean forward you bring your face closer to the other guy, into his firing range. If you need to get close you move your feet close, you don't lean. And if you need to hit a smaller guy you bend your knees, you don't reach down. If you need a reference, check this out:

Note the angle Vitali jabs at. He bends his knees a bit, and his jab comes from under Adamek's line of sight. Which is why he had so much trouble defending against it. In contrast the right hand comes downward, but he doesn't lean in far and compromise balance to deliver either punch. In that fight the one moment he did compromise balance, he fell over. If Adamek would have thrown a punch right then it would have been counted a knockdown.

The key difference here is as a Southpaw, your right jab should travel either over their right hand, or right up between the gloves, depending on how they hold their hands. Your right shoulder should be defending you from hooks, at least up to the cheekbone. But if you're reaching then your head is likely coming up and being fully exposed. Keep it down and a hook should bounce off your shoulder.

thank you this is a huge help. well appreciated.

good post

keep it basic, fight for that outside position (ur right foot on the outside of their left). if they get the outside position on you, step to ur left and throw that 2 or a 2,3,2 type of combination. or just simply step diagonally left/back, reset and fight for the outside position.

as far as getting countered. pop more feints, be less predictable and try to shoot that jab as straight and subtle as possible.

mix up jabs with lead straights. use that lead straight just like its a jab.

If the guy is punching downward and leaning, I don't think his fundamentals are good enough to do all that other stuff.

Back