Boxing and Knee pain

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I use to box when I was 16-17. Recently I decided to get back into it. I'm 26. Anyway, I apparenlty never felt pain when I was 16-17, and now that I'm 26 I feel pain all the time. That being said, one of the most burden some is knee pains. As I box and I rotate my legs to rotate my hips it hurts, especially during drills. Anyone ever had this problem and how did you deal with it?

Also I have a lot of foot and ankle pain when jumping rope. You would swear I was 90.

I would recommend taking Glucosamine / Chondroitin & MSM as well as Fish Oil daily, really helps out a lot.

I am 18 and I have some joint pain myself from playing sports recklessly as a kid, as well as Muay Thai but the stuff above makes it so I can train/play anything now without any discomfort.

Thanks, I have fish oil handy, I'll look into that other stuff too.

weight training sometimes helps, do squats, fish oils and get knee support if its that bad.

You may want to have someone watch your form. Over rotation of the hip will place stress on the knee as well as if you come to far forward and your lead knee comes past the tip of your toes. Does that make sense???? I'll have to see if I can find a diagram online. The point is your lead knee should never come past your toes when you extend your punch.

Do some low impact leg workouts like wall sits to get those legs supporting you moreso than the joint.

I use to box when I was 16-17. Recently I decided to get back into it. I'm 26. Anyway, I apparenlty never felt pain when I was 16-17, and now that I'm 26 I feel pain all the time. That being said, one of the most burden some is knee pains. As I box and I rotate my legs to rotate my hips it hurts, especially during drills. Anyone ever had this problem and how did you deal with it?

Also I have a lot of foot and ankle pain when jumping rope. You would swear I was 90.

Welcome back!

i had leg pain as well until i started doing lunges again

Hey you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about this so I got an issue, I've been doing a lot of slip drills and bobbing and weaving drills for boxing , and I do it correctly as far as bending at the knee and keeping my ass parallel to the ground,however I'm experiencing some knee pain , it's my right knee , (orthodox stance)
It hurts in the inside part of my knee , u guys have any suggestions ? Or does has anyone experience something similar and if so how did u correct it

Ha! This is a very old thread. I was 26 when I made it. I'm almost 35 now. Funny enough, I started boxing more recently and no knee pain. Some plantars facitiis, but I have several strategies to address it that have worked.

quick turns and footwork can also fuck up your knee. see: dominic cruz. i was doing roadwork and instead of jogging in a straight path i starting zigzagging on my path. the day after my knee was in pain had to ice it. its okay now though.

dont do skipping if inner arch part hurts like hell, its plantar fasciitis and its a bitch.

EDIT: Didn't notice the necro. oops

Hill sprints and weighted carrys/farmers walks are well regarded methods to build up the legs with low impact on the knees. In particular, one is good for getting more pep in in your step, the other is also one of the finest 'whole body' exercises you can do in general to improve posture.

I've been doing some thinking about how to train the adductor groups more specifically (since they are they most important parts of the leg for fighting) without putting too much stress on the knee, and I've decided that the answer is: inline skates.

Lace some bad boys up and hit the hills.

Ha! This is a very old thread. I was 26 when I made it. I'm almost 35 now. Funny enough, I started boxing more recently and no knee pain. Some plantars facitiis, but I have several strategies to address it that have worked.

Do you mind sharing those strategies? I have plantar faciitis as well and it prevents me from training as much as I'd like. Especially rope skipping.
I used to have knee pain as well from the rope skipping and I had trouble walking and standing for a long time due to it. My knee issues got better as I started squatting regularly. When I take a long break from squatting, the knee pain comes back.

Do you mind sharing those strategies? I have plantar faciitis as well and it prevents me from training as much as I'd like. Especially rope skipping.
I used to have knee pain as well from the rope skipping and I had trouble walking and standing for a long time due to it. My knee issues got better as I started squatting regularly. When I take a long break from squatting, the knee pain comes back.

I have PTSD when it comes to rope jumping because of Plantar Facitiis. Today, I don't jump rope. But I was using compression socks during rope jumping, running and boxing and it decreased the pain substantially to a manageable level. Also, there are special socks made specifically for plantar facitiis that you can wear when it's hurting in he morning or preemptively. But don't wear them too long (over an hour) because they cut off circulation. But they do bring instant relief.

Thanks for the insight. I need to look into those socks. I was hoping you had a long term cure though :( I haven't heard of many people having gotten it and successfully getting rid of it.

Thanks for the insight. I need to look into those socks. I was hoping you had a long term cure though :( I haven't heard of many people having gotten it and successfully getting rid of it.

Before I did anything preventative, it got so bad the doctor was just like "You need to stop boxing for at least 6 months." So I did, and 6 months became like 4 years. Then I went back to a gym, and did a normal work out and the PF was instantly back. But I started using the socks and it's manageable now. For a while I used in-soles in my shoes and that kinda helped too.

Hm...my issue isn't as bad as your's but I'm afraid it could get that bad. I massage and stretch my feet and calves regularly and bath my feet in warm water with magnesium oil and it helps (not so sure how much the magnesium oil is helping though). It gets better, I get lazy with the stretching and it comes back again.

Back