Boxing advice when countered

ambertch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is primarily a boxing question. I'm not an infighter, I don't have the skills to stay in the pocket yet. So far my strategy has been get in, throw a combo, get the fuck out. And if the guy comes after you, rely on conditioning (which unfortunately I don't have much haha) to run and gun. Rely on my defenses to get my out or throw a "instinct combo" I got from this forum (uppercut-straight-hook) and get out.

The problem I've been having is with more experienced partners who are good at countering and/or weathering the assault to come back with his own fury.

My current reaction has been "ABORT!!".
- If I jab and he catches it and counterjabs, I'll just leap out of range.
- If I jab my way in and he starts weaving under my punches I'll P&S and jab the fuck out of there

But I think it's time to add more to my game. Problem is I don't know where to start, since I can't really think that great staying in the pocket and getting hammered in the face.

What are some drills, partner drills, etc. some of you more experienced boxers can recommend to start expanding my game? I want to take my boxing beyond its present state of "skirmishing".

i prefer the erik morales style of boxing. when he gets hit clean, he rely's on a big counter flurry to get out off danger.

Jabbing out is a good move. The intercepting jab is an awesome tool. But jab up AND down, meaning jab to the body and head as well. With your footwork, step around, don't just bag back and run. A smart Fighter will just follow you behind his jab and keep taking your range away. A very very skilled fighter will cut you off and beat you senseless.

Use head-movement of your own, but not over-dramatized movement. Bend at the waist to move the head, and bend subtly, don't lean.

Don't leap. Step. The thing about leaping is it allows a guy to feel where you land even if you leap to either side. When I spar little speedsters that are smaller than I am, if they have a tendency to flurry and leap away I can always tell where they end up by where the impact of their feet feels. I pivot in that direction and cut them off.

In-and-out is not a bad way to fight, just put your combinations together, jab off, don't panic on the inside, hands high, chin down, smart clinch if you have to.

This is primarily a boxing question. I'm not an infighter, I don't have the skills to stay in the pocket yet. So far my strategy has been get in, throw a combo, get the fuck out. And if the guy comes after you, rely on conditioning (which unfortunately I don't have much haha) to run and gun. Rely on my defenses to get my out or throw a "instinct combo" I got from this forum (uppercut-straight-hook) and get out.

The problem I've been having is with more experienced partners who are good at countering and/or weathering the assault to come back with his own fury.

My current reaction has been "ABORT!!".
- If I jab and he catches it and counterjabs, I'll just leap out of range.
- If I jab my way in and he starts weaving under my punches I'll P&S and jab the fuck out of there

But I think it's time to add more to my game. Problem is I don't know where to start, since I can't really think that great staying in the pocket and getting hammered in the face.

What are some drills, partner drills, etc. some of you more experienced boxers can recommend to start expanding my game? I want to take my boxing beyond its present state of "skirmishing".

Just a guess..... are you a taller fighter?

Sounds alot like the same problems I was having, I rely on my reach and conditioning to bail me out and like you said, once you start sparring with better counterpunchers/infighters you get frustrated.

My problem was, being a taller fighter, I was getting crowded by good counterpunchers and infighters. I had to learn to make sure when the other fighter came in to get down to there level (head and shoulders lower or even with theirs), this allowed me to be able to defend better and keep enough leverage to get them off me. Once I got good at this it became one of my favorite techniques. Hope this is applicable to your question!

Drill: 1. double jabs- High to low (forces you to come down)
2. have a sparring partner put on a belly pad and only allow yourself to hit the belly pad, while your partner has free reign to hit high or low. Do this drill with a shorter fighter! This was my favorite!

well sounds similar to the way i used to box and here is some of the things i did to correct myself.

ring controll always try to keep yourself center ring so if you get pressured you can always back out and readjust yourself.

secondly just get used to anchoring your feet so to speak. when an infighter approachs you to get in the pocket dont try to back up hold your ground so when he presses in he is right next to you then just clinch him and tie him up. If everytime he tries to press you then just tie him up you can really frustrate them.

If you lose center ring and are on the outside backpeddle against the ropes and let him follow you there then lean against the ropes and let them push you off to throw some heavy punchs and make your oppenant think twice about following you to the ropes. once you have done that you can always roll off the ropes and work towards center ring.

when it comes to counter punchers just get a partner and pratice your defense drills. pratice throwing combinations while he defends and vica versa and just keep improving the speed.

continue sparring with guys who are better than you - learn from your mistakes, try different things

someone said jab - everything starts with a jab so keep that hand in your opponents face

Update: i have been working on 'stick and move' with a coach, as I am not really intent on staying in the pocket

Good partner drills I have been practicing:
- You advance quickly towards your partner and throw a jab (or a 1-2) at maximum range and he tries to throw back. You either move backwards quicker than he can punch back, pivot to the left and slide out, or pivot the right and slide out
- do the same but with various combos to your liking, like throwing a turning hook or throwing an uppercut after the pivot
- do the same but your partner will sometimes come out punching to meet you, he will react in random ways of his choosing.
- advance towards the heavy bag and attempt to throw a combo at max range and move away. Your partner will stand behind the heavy bag and randomly throw the heavy bag towards you at various speeds as you advance, to simulate an opponent (who isn't just going to stand there) and you will need to throw your combo at different distances
- Any of the drills above combined with body punching and changing levels

A couple of the pro fighters at my gym demonstrated in-out/stick and move to me and man, the kind of speed they can "get the fuck out" after throwing a combo is AMAZING! I'm definately going to have work on my leg strength and get those explosive calves to propel myself and dance around :)

Don't leap. Step. The thing about leaping is it allows a guy to feel where you land even if you leap to either side. When I spar little speedsters that are smaller than I am, if they have a tendency to flurry and leap away I can always tell where they end up by where the impact of their feet feels. I pivot in that direction and cut them off.

Thanks, this is definitely a good advice you gave me. I found the reason I was"leaping back" is because I don't have the leg strength to just solidly propel myself back and pull out of range, so as I result I just hopped.

Any advice on developing that leg strength/speed?

never back up without throwing a jab,it makes it hard for him to follow you after you retreat.

Back