Boxer trying Judo

The Real jc

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey iv been training as a boxer for about 5 years but fancied a change so i thought id give Judo a try - My brother is into it and got pretty good.

so last week i went and tbh i didnt have the adrenaline going as much as i do for boxing as i thought, 'i aint gona get hit so how hard can it be...'. HOW WRONG I WAS! lol I seemed to be chucked right in i had about 1 minute of learning how to break fall (im not totally convinced i can very well) and then i was paired off with people.

There is so many more dimensions in Judo it is definately like a game of chess, i learnt a few techniques straight away (like the fugure4 arm lock) which i didnt expect, and there is alot of knuckles in the neck and elbows in the back you dont see on tv!

Cant wait to go back and get stuck in!

dont spose anybody has any tips before i go back... :D

Take the breakfalls, or Ukemi, more seriously. There is no way you should be taking throws with "1 minute" of ukemi. I hate ukemi, but it has saved my ass (and my balls) on quite a few throws.

i had the same problem when i firts started mma, yeay you should really work on breakfalls, they`ll save youre ass later o when you start rolling with the really good guys

Ere's a Q.

What i noticed at this class i went to, they all were wearing black belts - im no expert in martial arts but shouldnt there be a wider range of skill level?

I for 1, dont have a clue how the 'belt system' works.

You gotta remember that Judo isn't as advertised as other MAs, so that closed group of people just advanced pretty quickly.

The Real jc said:
Ere's a Q.

What i noticed at this class i went to, they all were wearing black belts - im no expert in martial arts but shouldnt there be a wider range of skill level?

I for 1, dont have a clue how the 'belt system' works.

Sounds like maybe you walked into an advanced class. ??? There should defintely be a wider range of belts. How many black belts were there in one room?
I don't know, but something doesn't sound right. One minute on break falls? How about 3 to 6 months...

Yeah, an advanced class, or maybe 80% of the students (all those lower than black) couldn't make it. I wouldn't want to start out in a class of only blackbelts. Their training should be diferent than yours, as they already know pretty much everything and you know nothing.

1 minute on breakfalls is too short. That sounds kind of reckless too me, for whoever the sensei was. They will save you, trust me, if you do them right. I was getting thrown by a black belt visiting instructor last night and I was concentrating for all I was worth to do some wuality falling because he was throwing me so hard.

Judo can be everybit as brutal as boxing, no doubt about that. I ahve seen some throws (mostly counter throws) that I didn't think were survivable.

Tips: look for a beginngers class maybe if you got int he advanced one by accident. I think you will learn better to start with.

Practice your falling and ask for help in this area to learn it right.

Looks like the new meat boxer boy walked into an advanced class that 'just so happened' to be randori day. hehe.: :icon_twis

You'll love it more as u get better. They should really teach more breakfalls if it was your first class. It sad that some clubs simply teach the tuck and roll and there is alot more to it than that. Remember that throwing practice is breakfall practice also. And always tuck your head.

the core thing of judo, breakfalls, they are the most important thing you will learn in judo, more important than any of the throws you learn because they will save your ass. practice day and night for the first while. talk to your sensei and start experimenting with throws to try to get a wide variety of techniques. the more you get thrown, the more counters to throws you learn, and how to resist each throw in the judo canon. try checking out judoinfo.com for more judo advice, especially the forums, the guys on there are really helpful.

I know a guy who was an amateur boxer all his life and then
picked up Judo out of nowhere, got his black belt.

it sounded rough, but he is one tough mofo.

you should check out the Judo movies by director Akira Kurosawa

Dont get me wrong, they wernt throwing me around like they were themselves but it was very hands on i thought for a first lesson - which isnt necersarily a bad thing.

I remember when i started boxing the jab was really the only thing i through, i felt like my arm was gona come off!

But in Judo, i seemed to learn more techiniques earlier, maybe because there is more to learn?

I will take your advice on the break falls!

Most of the time with judo you just get thrown in the deep end & told to swim.

Boxing should give you some good background for judo. For example - consider footwork. Without a proper stance & balance, your strikes will lack speed & power plus you will be left open for counters.

Dont throw this away in judo - the idea is the same. Keep your weight centred, keep loose - not stiff. Weight on the balls of your feet - knees slightly bent (sound familiar?).

Your jabs in judo are your ashi-waza or footsweeps - like deashibarai, kouchigari & okuriashibarai. You throw them like jabs - fast & without losing balance. They rarely will get you a KO (ie; ippon) but they will score & will prevent an opponents attack as well as open your opponent up for you power-punch (ie you major throw, like seoinage, haraigoshi, osotogari, taiotoshi, uchimata etc...)

Practice & repetition work wonders. Drills drills drills. You can even do shadow-sparring - concentrating on your stance & movement . Shadow uchikomi (drilling the entry to the throw) is also possible. I used to do this a lot before traiing or on off-training days.

And above all - relax & have fun.

I think boxing has less techniques than Judo so Judo may seem
more technical,

in boxing, you got to refine those punches
so much, you become an expert in them.

In Judo they show you a large variety for you to choose from
and then as you get to competition level you begin to narrow it down
and pick your specialty and refine those just like boxing.

muerteverde said:
Judo can be everybit as brutal as boxing, no doubt about that. I ahve seen some throws (mostly counter throws) that I didn't think were survivable.

Oh yea I agree. I find Judo to be physically harder on you than BJJ. You fall on your head, you get winded from falling etc. etc. Doesn't happen in BJJ.

I think I might know one of the counter throws you're talking about. Does it involve picking them up by one leg so they are off the ground, then putting your hip into the throw so they go head over heels ? I'm bad with the names, but the translation has something to do with "wheel" .

have fun!!

i'm sure they were taking it easy on you.

i'm only a yellow and I take it easy on the people for their first month or two.

As for the breakfall question, I found that when I was doing Judo(I

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back