Book recommendation?

Ghosted-Barra

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for another book to add to my library, and am open to some suggestions. I have Path to the Black Belt, Camarillo's book, Bravos JJ Unleashed and RG book. I am looking for something mostly for a gi player. Thanks a ton.

Marcello's new book, The X Guard, is mostly gi based. It covers butterfly and X guard mostly.

If you want basic stuff, there's Royce's two books, but believe me when I say it's BASIC. Gracie self-defense is mixed liberaly with stuff like sweeps and omoplatas.

The X-guard is amazing. But I play a lot of X-guard and butterfly guard as well...

Marcello's new book, The X Guard, is mostly gi based. It covers butterfly and X guard mostly.

If you want basic stuff, there's Royce's two books, but believe me when I say it's BASIC. Gracie self-defense is mixed liberaly with stuff like sweeps and omoplatas.

I would be interested in that book, but our school is not stressing butterfly or Xguard too much, at least not right now. It is one I plan on putting into my library one day though.

There is not much (if any ) Gi work in the following but they are both very good.

Randy Couture Wrestling for MMA (I think it is called) and Ken Shamrock's Inside the Lion's Den. Both very good. Lots of fun clinch work in Randy's and of course heaps of leg and choke holds from Mr Shamrock

I only have the Renzo/Royler book. I find it clear and easy to follow, plus, I like the colour coded pages that guides you through what is expected through every belt level.

I recommend this book to everyone that asks my opinion.

Passing the Guard, The Guard, and The Strategic Guard by Ed Beneville and Joe Moriera. It's like a bible trilogy.

Not a technique book, but Darkslide recommended The Book of Five Rings which I just got and so far, so good.

The Essential Guard by Kid Peligro and Rodrigo Medeiros gets consistently high marks from people as well.

Strategic guard
Essential guard

One of those two.

Not gi oriented, but the only grappling book I have ever read, and I highly recommend it.

0873224043.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_OU01_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I just picked up "Mastering Jujitsu" by Renzo and John Danaher last night. Haven't even got through the first chapter yet but it seems good. Heres the chapter titles:

Chapter 1:Classical Jujitsu: Theory and History
Chapter 2:Modern Jujitsu: New Concepts, New Directions
Chapter 3:Underlying Theory and Strategy of Modern Jujitsu
Chapter 4:Free-Movement Phase
Chapter 5:Clinch Phase
Chapter 6:Ground Fighting
Chapter 7:Winning From the Bottom Position
Chapter 8:Winning From the Top Position
Chapter 9:Training and Competition
Chapter 10:Jujitsu For Self-Defense

Interesting to note the spelling "JuJitsu" instead of "JiuJitsu". Seems like they really give credit to the Japanese JJ/Judo/BJJ lineage.

I also have Royler/Renzo's book which is great for noobs like me.

Back