Body shots for a long outside striker

Ninja Realist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm pretty tall and lanky for my weight so I like to throw straight punches.

I still put hooks at the end of my combos if I'm able too, but no matter how much I train it I always feel like i can get off a cross to the body quicker and cleaner than a left hook. But doesn't a hook connect with the liver/floating rib, harder and cleaner than a cross? Should I just train the body hook more or should I stick with what seems to fit my style better?

Set up your left hook using those jabs and straight rights to the body (with a left hook to the head), then when you've got them ready for it, you can throw the right straight, angle out to your left and dig in that left hook.

Of course, I'm not very good at doing this and am still working on getting the angle, but in theory...

You're lucky, i've watched alot of boxing matches, where a lanky ass motherfucker lands some deadly liver shots with a long outside left hook. It seems very very effective against a shorter opponent who likes to lean or keeps his guard up too high.

ok so, this fight came to my mind right when i read the title. Watch it, Study it, Wince at the devastating liver blows, Learn it, and then go out and try it for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxXodXYEBI
The Thin Explosive Man vs. Royal Kobayashi

alright, so at about 2:28, Arguello has Royal up on the ropes, and as Shotokan mentioned correctly, he set up that left hook to the liver with a combo. The uppercut + straight got Kobayashis guard up high, and Arguello snuck in that left to the liver. You can clearly see that shit hurt Royal, as you see him in pain, backing up with his hands down. So once Kobayashi gets up from the count, Arguello pounces on him. POW! POW! POW! POW! ONE TWO! than that fuckin last left hook to the liver finishes the fight.

fuck can you imagine? 2 left hooks to the liver from Arguello. Kobayashi musta been pissing crimson for a month. This video hurts to watch. But its a real excellent case study for guys like you (if you're tall and lanky that is). As it was the lankier fighter against the lower bob and weave come inside fighter. Hope it helps.

if someone wants to embed it, itd be easier for everyone to watch. Or if your not a lazy ass just click the damn link.

Keep practicing it. If you're a begginner its gonna take time for you to throw it with some proficiency. You can try throwing a left hook to the body (or right hook if you're orthodox) after you throw a cross to the body. a 2-3 to the body.

Set up your left hook using those jabs and straight rights to the body (with a left hook to the head), then when you've got them ready for it, you can throw the right straight, angle out to your left and dig in that left hook.

Of course, I'm not very good at doing this and am still working on getting the angle, but in theory...

Absolutely right, you start leading with left hooks and you're gonna get a jab or cross to the face.

The good thing about having a solid body shot combo in your arsenal is that it really helps solidify your fakes. If your opponent knows that you can and will do body damage, he has to move more to block then a fake to the body he doesnt respect.

You're lucky, i've watched alot of boxing matches, where a lanky ass motherfucker lands some deadly liver shots with a long outside left hook. It seems very very effective against a shorter opponent who likes to lean or keeps his guard up too high.

ok so, this fight came to my mind right when i read the title. Watch it, study it, wince at the liver blow, and then go out and try it for yourself

The Thin Explosive Man vs. Royal Kobayashi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxXodXYEBI

if someone wants to embed it, itd be easier for everyone to watch. Or if your not a lazy ass just click the damn link.

Oh wow. That is awesome. But it seems like hes throwing more of a shovel hook than a more orthodox hook. So are you saying I should throw a more vertical shovel hook than a regular, horizontal hook?

Oh wow. That is awesome. But it seems like hes throwing more of a shovel hook than a more orthodox hook. So are you saying I should throw a more vertical shovel hook than a regular, horizontal hook?

The shovel hook with the lead hand is the more common body shot. Your trainer hasn't taught you how to throw it?

Artur Kyshenko is a good fighter to check out if you wanna see body shots from a tall kickboxer.

yeah exactly, you wanna throw it like a uppercut/hook. You wanna dig like a shovel so you get past the ribs into the soft parts of his body. I guess a normal hook would work, but you'd have to be pretty low im guessing, Or just crack his ribs with it. If you want to hit him vitally, you gotta dig for it. Take it from Arguello man, you see how badly he devastated his opponent.

Theres always the long mexican left hook to the liver. That one is thrown almost around you opponents elbow, hitting him in the sweet spot, but i wouldnt know too much about it as i've never dropped anyone with a liver punch yet or any body punch for that matter.

Theres always the long mexican left hook to the liver. That one is thrown almost around you opponents elbow, hitting him in the sweet spot, but i wouldnt know too much about it as i've never dropped anyone with a liver punch yet or any body punch for that matter.

Like Gerry Penalosa?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IWp3rY0_00k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IWp3rY0_00k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I kind of was trying to copy this style of hooking but I guess it is ineffective for a tall, lanky, guy.

Like Gerry Penalosa?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IWp3rY0_00k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IWp3rY0_00k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I kind of was trying to copy this style of hooking but I guess it is ineffective for a tall, lanky, guy.

whers the link i wanna see the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWp3rY0_00k

And just for the record I know penalosa is filipino but it sounds like what your describing.

Beautiful body shot.

LOL. shit dude, thanks for that clip, i been recently looking for a liver shot knockout, delivered from a southpaw with a left hook. And what do ya know? Penelosa takes this guy out with a left hook to the liver.

with a right cross to the body, is the ideal spot to land it right under the sternum, the xiphoid process?

It is all about working those angles to get in your body shots. They tend to really present themselves if you are not straight on with your opponent. Like others have said work on setting other things up first and they also will tend to present themselves.

Kyshenko is an excellent example of body shots being effective in a rule set where knees and kicks are allowed.

Absolutely. I definitely can't wait to see how he does in the next max. He's so young too, 20 I believe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back