Bob and weaving drill

Remember Me?

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've been working on my evasive skills for boxing, and I just wanted to get some people's opinions on my bob and weave practice drill.
In my basement, I tied a thin rope from one wall to the other. It's just high enough for me to duck under. I've been practicing walking forward and bob and weaving under the rope while I throw punches. Do you think this will benefit me. It might sound really stupid but I just wanted to know of it would help me with my speed.

This is an age-old time-tested practice for boxers. Though you should also be doing double-end bag work and mitt-work involving evasive maneuvers and Shadowboxing in-and-out of corners as well to learn maximum savvy.

I do do double end bag work and practice with the mitts too at my gym. I just started doing this drill at home. So this does work then?
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, but I hope you're primarily throwing uppercuts. A good uppercut is a defining characteristic of a good enough Boxer. It's a punch most people forget about right when it's the most useful, and it makes for a beautiful counter. So step-duck under-uppercut, and repeat.

King Kabuki is right, the rope drill is a boxing staple for training timing/rhythm and movement. I had to do it tons of times, using different combos. It definitely works, so you should keep using it.

Make sure you also vary things - e.g. don't always punch every time you "pop-up", make it so sometimes you only punch on every other popup, etc. Use different combos, include the uppercut, etc. and you'll find it can do a lot to increase your ability to combine footwork, body movement and punching into a synchronized offense.

And dont bend at the waist as much as drop with your knees. That way you see the punches coming and at least know what hit you

Good point by Zaner. One other thing I wanted to add - when you pop up, your inside ear should basically be grazing the rope - you want to be as tight as possible against that rope. This will help emphasize the economy of motion necessary to be a good boxer.

You might already know that, I don't know, but since you are training at home I didn't want you to be weaving wildly on each side of the rope - the goal is to pop up as tight as possible to the center line.

Good luck with it.

These are some bobbing a weaving exercises that I do:

1.) Hitting the Focus Mitts - I like throwing combinations; Like throwing a 1-2, ducking, and then throwing a 1-2-3, duck..etc.

2.) Sparring - There's nothing more exciting and harder to practice bobbing and weaving with then sparring. You have to constantly be moving and put what you learned in training to the test. I wouldn't suggest only sparring to practice your bobbing a weaving because you'll develop mistakes that you don't realize.

3.) Double-end bag - I just bought this and I use it every day. I also have one at my gym and it seriously helps. You wouldn't go wrong by spending a few bucks on this.

Other then that, I like working with my coach. We aren't sparring but we're working on bobbing and weaving technique wise. He throws a jab at me and I bob/weave it. He starts out slow and then builds up speed and power. If I get a chance to counter, I'm allowed to. Eventually he starts adding new punches in, like crosses and hooks. Great drill.

There is a fun drill you can do if you have enough people. Get 4 people standing in a + and have them all shadowboxing throwing combos of their choice on the spot. Then get 1 or 2 people to move in a circle around the people punching, obviously trying to avoid/bob/weave etc.

You can up the bar by shouting at different intervals "Clockwise... Counterclockwise...Clockwise...". Also getting the people punching to close their eyes or blindfold them helps and makes it a lot more random.

Sounds complex but I used to love doing this because it was so much fun. The drawback is you need a bunch of people to do it with.

Another good rope drill is hooking off of the jab. Bob, weave, jab, hook, repeat. Helps with your evasive ability and timing as well.

the best way to practice your bobbing and weaving iss imply through sparring. you can try as many drills as you want, but unless you know what its actually like having someone throw at you, you wont know how to evade it properly

Well I'm only practicing at home so I can be able to do it faster.

Back