Blue belt blues

I think progress motivates most people, and when people get their blue belt, they see a very long road ahead of them and feel their progress slowing.

It doesn't need to be like that. BJJ is a game composed of tiny mini-games. How are you at one guard or another, how are you at passing a specific guard, etc. And that is broken down into even smaller games - can you establish an underhook in a certain position, can you stack properly during a certain pass, etc. So you can keep progressing in those aspects, and that makes a giant difference during rolls.

I think progress motivates most people, and when people get their blue belt, they see a very long road ahead of them and feel their progress slowing.

It doesn't need to be like that. BJJ is a game composed of tiny mini-games. How are you at one guard or another, how are you at passing a specific guard, etc. And that is broken down into even smaller games - can you establish an underhook in a certain position, can you stack properly during a certain pass, etc. So you can keep progressing in those aspects, and that makes a giant difference during rolls.

It's weird, I'm progressing faster as a brown belt than I did as a blue belt. If anything, I'm more motivated than before.

It's weird, I'm progressing faster as a brown belt than I did as a blue belt. If anything, I'm more motivated than before.
TBH I've felt the same lately (brand new Brown) - I think that a lot of blue belt is spent learning fundamentals and patterns that don't necessarily translate into huge differences in rolls but are super important for the future nonetheless - and then during purple further progression makes a huge difference.

Never really experienced it as a blue belt, but it hit me a couple of years ago as a purple when life happened and couldn't go 4 or 5 times a week anymore then I got a bit out of shape and gassed a lot and early. Now I've improved my diet again and I'm seeing strides and it's exciting again.

Back