blocking high kicks in mma.

BJJK1

Green Belt
Reaction score
twice it's happened in very recent bouts where arms were broken when blocking high kicks. Gonzaga broke couture's arm, and last night cung broke shamrock's arm. Cung said in his post fight interview that he teaches his students to block the high kick with both hands. do you think it's necessary to block with two hands, or the two incidents were because of right circumstances?

twice it's happened in very recent bouts where arms were broken when blocking high kicks. Gonzaga broke couture's arm, and last night cung broke shamrock's arm. Cung said in his post fight interview that he teaches his students to block the high kick with both hands. do you think it's necessary to block with two hands, or the two incidents were because of right circumstances?

Yes, it's definitely necessary to block ANY body or head kick with both hands!

Yes especially in MMA with the smaller gloves.

We have some kru who don't really speak highly of the twin forearm block because of this exact problem. And strong kicker if you don't block properly could break your arm, if you are twin forearm blocking then yeah you have to use both arms.

I have problem with twin forearm blocking and find i use a wing block and forearm on most high kicks or ill check low kicks with the Elbow to knee style (the proper name has compleatly left my head right now). But again any good kicker could still do lots of damage to me. those are the the ways I'm comfortable.

My kru says anyone who thinks they can block every kick/punch in a fight will eventually get hurt/beat. getting out of the way or preventing them from landing is your best defense.

You definitely want to block with both arms. Against a good kicker, you otherwise risk getting something broken...one of the instructors I know had his arm broken by not blocking properly a while back. So, there's definitely a risk that bad blocking can result in a broken arm.

Umm if you need to block a highkick and can't manage to get out of the way I would certainly attempt to block it with both of my arms as opposed to one. Obviously the best way is to just avoid getting hit by it all together or if they are kinda slow with it attack their plant leg.

use both your arms, even for the body kicks. This isn't boxing. (not slamming boxing, i am a big fan, but they're blocking style would give them major injuries should they choose to switch to kickboxing.)

It would be far better to be up on your footwork and just avoid it (yes I know itis much easier than it sounds). One arm/two arms is still going to do damage. There is nothing I hate more than taking a full on roundhouse blocking or not. One instructor used to tell me people block out of laziness or fatigue. Footwork is your friend.

T.J.T makes a good point, especially under MMA rules with th smaller gloves, getting out of the way definately hurts less! plus with both hands being used for blocking it doesn't leave a great deal of room to counter. Some body kicks can be shin checked too.

Another fight that comes to mind is the Bruce/Yod fight from the Contender Asia...Yod basically just kicked the HELL out of his arms, blocking or not-blocking, they did damage...

Anyways, I agree...it's best to not get hit at all, but when you have no choice, minimize damage and use both arms, why take all that formce on a small amount of surface area when you can disperse it over more...at least that's how we learn it at my gym...

OT: jerome le banner learnd the hard part when he fought hoost. it was the elbow however as i recall not the arm. precision strike by hoost.

Back