Blind Judo

We have a blind fellow who was promoted to black just about a year ago at our club. His wife is also blind and is a brown belt :)

Awesome video and the comments are priceless! :)

We also have a blind guy (black belt) in my judo club. Doesn't affect him much, other than he has a hard time with foot sweeps.

awesome technique

Darkslide should love this, it eliminates most of the stuff that is "bad judo" :p

not just good because they are blind either. that is proper good technique, they can't rely on superior gripping and develop awesome throws anyway,

nice throw at 1.15
YouTube - Jani Kallunki judo bronze medal Athens 2004 Paralympics
good interview with a blind judoka
YouTube - Tony Johnson, blind judo
really tips advice for everybody

heck I would favour a similar rule of starting from grips (with penalties for disengaging both hands simultaneously) as an overtime thing or when both are stalling and playing overtly defensive (in both judo/bjj)

I started in Judo so I heard some stuff about Blind Judo. Then when I started doing BJJ I asked a couple of my training partners if there were any good blind guys in BJJ, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Watched a Judo club from a College of the Blind come to a local tourney and clean house a few years ago. Much respect.

These guys are like a real life "Dare Devil." Can't see shit, but can still kick the ever loving shit out of you.

good interview with a blind judoka

Haha. Shit dude. I just came from working out with Tony. He kicks my ass all over the mat. The guy is a monster. He leads warmups and it kicks all our asses. The only thing I take away from it is that at least it's on Fridays so I've got the weekend to recover. He's also been promoted to brown belt since this video went up.

Blind guys are no joke in the martial arts. Particularly in grappling range, they can be just as good as a sighted person.

Back when I was little, my instructor had seen a blind guy in a wheelchair traveling around to some seminars. When he got into trapping/clinch range with him, he said it was amazing how effective he was.

I haven't met a blind judoka yet, but I've always felt they'd do really well with Judo. Your eyes are deceiving. If you rely on them for your reaction, you'll be a step behind every single time.

He's 100% right, you feel their movements through their torso and react accordingly. -It took me a long time to learn this. I finally noticed that I'd actually do better defending with my eyes closed.

These guys are like a real life "Dare Devil." Can't see shit, but can still kick the ever loving shit out of you.

:icon_cheeThis is sig worthy.

This is so cool. I should show my uncle. He's legally blind, he'd love this.

I started in Judo so I heard some stuff about Blind Judo. Then when I started doing BJJ I asked a couple of my training partners if there were any good blind guys in BJJ, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

I would think that BJJ would work even better for the blind, since once you know the techniques in that close of quarters you can go by feel all the way. Like Rickson said, "just flow with the go."

Hi,

In our dojo we have two blind persons. A female with a brown belt who attends off and on and one our main instructors who has a blackbelt. Due to health concerns he does not randori but he is a excellent teacher. I have had several problems with throws that he has helped me with, his sense of kyzushi and body mechanics is great as he is not trying to "see" your mistake and this oftentimes helps to shortcut the problem.

Reed

that armbar entry is pretty cool to, he kinda goes for a seated firemanscarry first but ditches it early on

This is awesome. I think blind BJJ would work out pretty well. I find that I often play better when my opponent covers me with his gi since I have to rely on feeling his movement.

Back