Bleacher Report Hit Piece on Colby Covington

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Colby Covington Isn't a Big Draw and UFC Is Right to Go with Diaz-Masvidal

Summary: 1. Colby is a human, but not a very good one ("racist"). 2. Colby is a heel, but not a very good one. 3. Colby is a draw, but not a very good one.

UFC 244 looked to be the perfect opportunity for a welterweight title fight between champion Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington. Madison Square Garden would have been the stage for the rivalry. The UFC, instead, went with Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal for the main event.

It was the right call, though, because Covington is not a draw.

When the 31-year-old arrived at UFC 241 in Anaheim, California, the Honda Center crowd erupted into a loud chorus of boos and vulgar chants directed at the former UFC interim welterweight champion. Ariel Helwani of ESPN, which has exclusive UFC domestic broadcast rights for television and pay-per-view, retweeted video of the scene with the sarcastic caption: "Yeah, you're right, it's totally not working."

But that's the thing, it's not working. While the Honda Center was deafening, the only way to tell if a fighter's schtick is truly working is from tangible figures. When you look at those for Covington, you find that fans really don't care about him. Not everyone can be a Floyd Mayweather, or even, to a much less successful degree at the box office, Chael Sonnen.

A fighter who people pay to see get beaten up: That's the angle Covington is going for. His right-wing, borderline racist (h/t Deadspin's Patrick Redford) character seems like a perfect persona for the time. Instead, people just hate Covington the person and do not use their dollars to support the gimmick.

Ben Fowlkes:

Caught a few minutes of "Hoffa," a film I enjoy despite its flaws, and Hoffa's line about one of the less effectual union leaders really captured my thoughts on Colby Covington's use of the heel gimmick: "He knows the words but he don't know the music."

. . .

UFC on ESPN Ratings
Event Main Event Ratings
UFC on ESPN 1 Ngannou vs. Velasquez 1.463m
UFC on ESPN 2 Barboza vs. Gaethje 828,000
UFC on ESPN 3 Ngannou vs. Dos Santos 1.091m
UFC on ESPN 4 Dos Anjos vs. Edwards 957,000
UFC on ESPN 5 Covington vs. Lawler 680,000

Covington recently appeared on Helwani's MMA Show and said the UFC gave him one offer for the title fight. He didn't take it, and the company moved on (h/t TSN's Aaron Bronsteter).

There is no need for the UFC to negotiate with Covington. Nothing he has done has given them a boost to the bottom line. Of course, the UFC moved on to Diaz vs. Masvidal. Diaz is a proven star after his clashes with McGregor, and after his return at UFC 241, he moved right back to the top of the bill for the UFC.

Likewise, Masvidal's 2019 has made him one of the hottest fighters in the sport. Millions saw his five-second KO of Ben Askren, and his realness connects with the public. This is the definition of striking while the iron is hot. It is a fight that sells. Covington does not offer them that same ability. He has no leverage with the UFC. He cannot point to anything on the bottom line of the financial sheet to show his impact.

Covington is nothing but hot air thus far, and nobody is buying in. Until he can show his character is working for bigger gates, ratings and PPV buys, he cannot get the upper hand in negotiations and the UFC can easily move to the next fighter on the roster. Diaz-Masvidal was the easy call. When the UFC can look at the potential for financial gain between those two welterweight fights, the one they chose was super-necessary.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...raw-and-ufc-is-right-to-go-with-diaz-masvidal

Last edited:
People are still using that 10am card to say that Colby isn't a draw?

Kinda boring

Please, continue to ignore the fact that the card was at 3 pm and still pulled the best numbers for the time slot in every demographic that the ufc targets

I don't like Covington, he's annoying. But I don't really care to see him get beat up. I just don't care to be honest. I'll watch him fight, but don't care if I never do again.

So I get what the author is saying.

Please, continue to ignore the fact that the card was at 3 pm and still pulled the best numbers for the time slot in every demographic that the ufc targets

Lmao this

Not arguing that Colby is a huge draw, but it's disingenuous for them to ignore that it was an earlier start time than all the other events

Usman vs. Colby is the fight to make while Masvidal and Nate plays out. (it is a fight I do wanna see. the matchup is very interesting)

Don't believe Colby has the right to make crazy demands during negotiations with the UFC though.
It really does sound like Colby is the one holding up the fight.

If Usman vs. Colby doesn't happen fingers will and should be pointed at Colby.

Kinda boring
Colby just started. All of his numbers are up. Video views, likes, followers and everything. Just check out Internet Archives, he was at 4k followers on twitter before the Maia fight, before he started all of this. Hate the guy personally, but this is such a petty article (good barometer to scout out other petty cunts in the comments, though). Dude's on an upswing in progress, haters will all eat crow soon enough.

Colby Covington Isn't a Big Draw and UFC Is Right to Go with Diaz-Masvidal

UFC 244 looked to be the perfect opportunity for a welterweight title fight between champion Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington. Madison Square Garden would have been the stage for the rivalry. The UFC, instead, went with Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal for the main event.

It was the right call, though, because Covington is not a draw.

When the 31-year-old arrived at UFC 241 in Anaheim, California, the Honda Center crowd erupted into a loud chorus of boos and vulgar chants directed at the former UFC interim welterweight champion. Ariel Helwani of ESPN, which has exclusive UFC domestic broadcast rights for television and pay-per-view, retweeted video of the scene with the sarcastic caption: "Yeah, you're right, it's totally not working."

But that's the thing, it's not working. While the Honda Center was deafening, the only way to tell if a fighter's schtick is truly working is from tangible figures. When you look at those for Covington, you find that fans really don't care about him. Not everyone can be a Floyd Mayweather, or even, to a much less successful degree at the box office, Chael Sonnen.

A fighter who people pay to see get beaten up: That's the angle Covington is going for. His right-wing, borderline racist (h/t Deadspin's Patrick Redford) character seems like a perfect persona for the time. Instead, people just hate Covington the person and do not use their dollars to support the gimmick.

Ben Fowlkes:

Caught a few minutes of "Hoffa," a film I enjoy despite its flaws, and Hoffa's line about one of the less effectual union leaders really captured my thoughts on Colby Covington's use of the heel gimmick: "He knows the words but he don't know the music."

. . .

UFC on ESPN Ratings
Event Main Event Ratings
UFC on ESPN 1 Ngannou vs. Velasquez 1.463m
UFC on ESPN 2 Barboza vs. Gaethje 828,000
UFC on ESPN 3 Ngannou vs. Dos Santos 1.091m
UFC on ESPN 4 Dos Anjos vs. Edwards 957,000
UFC on ESPN 5 Covington vs. Lawler 680,000

Covington recently appeared on Helwani's MMA Show and said the UFC gave him one offer for the title fight. He didn't take it, and the company moved on (h/t TSN's Aaron Bronsteter).

There is no need for the UFC to negotiate with Covington. Nothing he has done has given them a boost to the bottom line. Of course, the UFC moved on to Diaz vs. Masvidal. Diaz is a proven star after his clashes with McGregor, and after his return at UFC 241, he moved right back to the top of the bill for the UFC.

Likewise, Masvidal's 2019 has made him one of the hottest fighters in the sport. Millions saw his five-second KO of Ben Askren, and his realness connects with the public. This is the definition of striking while the iron is hot. It is a fight that sells. Covington does not offer them that same ability. He has no leverage with the UFC. He cannot point to anything on the bottom line of the financial sheet to show his impact.

Covington is nothing but hot air thus far, and nobody is buying in. Until he can show his character is working for bigger gates, ratings and PPV buys, he cannot get the upper hand in negotiations and the UFC can easily move to the next fighter on the roster. Diaz-Masvidal was the easy call. When the UFC can look at the potential for financial gain between those two welterweight fights, the one they chose was super-necessary.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...raw-and-ufc-is-right-to-go-with-diaz-masvidal

Those numbers are surprisingly good considering what time it was on and the horrible supporting card

If anything it proves that Colby actually is a draw

I can also write shit on Bleacher Report, pal. Nobody who genuinely likes sports reads that garbage.

wasn't the khabib-poirier start time at 2pm ? and he apparently put up McGregor like numbers. according to the UFC at least.

Kinda boring
Especially when u consider that up until the main event it averaged 500k viewers. The main event peaked over 1M viewers, which isn't amazing but given the context of the situation it's nothing to sneeze at.

He's definitely not a big draw, but he is a draw. He'll be bigger if he wins the belt.

Kinda boring

Truth.

In addition....the UFC blacked out the upper section of the Prudential Centre. I've been to the last 6 events there and they've never done that before.

When I bought my tickets, the upper section was not even available.

The show was jam packed. If they had sold the upper deck, it would not have had a low gate figure.

There’s nothing quite like a good ol’ Bleacher Report (S)hit Piece..

Seriously, have they ever written anything remotely worth reading?

There’s nothing quite like a good ol’ Bleacher Report (S)hit Piece..

Seriously, have they ever written anything remotely worth reading?
With mainstream media these days, there are only puff pieces and hit pieces. Nothing in between.

> borderline racist (h/t Deadspin's Patrick Redford)

It's pretty lame to use the word "borderline" with racist as if that makes any difference. It's even more lame to h/t somebody as cover for not having the guts to just outright accuse him.

Nothing new in this opinion piece. Just piling on.

I don't see how the Diaz fight has anything to do with Colby other than it would have been comain. The Diaz fight if strong enough to be main so they went with it, but the usman-colby fight still needs to happen, so other than getting pushed back, it shouldn't really matter.

Back