Blatant political trolling by Americans.

Ruprecht

Hands Of The Judges
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Not talking about what happens in the War Room, but the latest story to pop up in my news feed.
Must admit it made me chuckle though...
Apparently it's even something of a cold war tradition.
Do you think this sort of statement is worth making?

China slams US proposal to name street outside Washington embassy after jailed Liu Xiaobo

Beijing has slammed as "provocative" a proposal by US politicians to rename the street outside China's Washington embassy in honour of the jailed Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo.

Mr Liu was sentenced to 11 years in prison in 2009 on a charge of "incitement to subversion of state power".

The indictment was based in part on his spearheading of Charter 08, a petition urging greater protection of human rights and democratic reforms in China.

A diverse group of members of the US House of Representatives say that changing the name of a section of the road will embolden Chinese rights campaigners.

But Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei has called the suggestion a "provocative action" at a regular press briefing on Friday.

"Liu Xiaobo is a man who has violated Chinese laws, he has been convicted by the Chinese judicial authorities," Mr Hong said.

The writer and long-term activist was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 2010, incensing China's authorities, who deal harshly with dissidents and other potential threats to their authority.

His wife Liu Xia, 53, has not been charged with any crime but has been held under house arrest since then.

The announcement of the proposal comes as the National Endowment for Democracy, a non-profit organisation funded by the US Congress, dedicated its annual award to Liu and another imprisoned activist, Xu Zhiyong.

Xu was sentenced in January to four years in prison for supporting demonstrations that urged government officials to disclose their assets.

During the Cold War, Washington renamed the street in front of the Soviet embassy in honour of dissident Andrei Sakharov.

This warrants a single yellow, imo.

Well there's no stopping China from naming a street after Edward Snowden or Bradley Manning.

Until China gets their Human Rights shit together, I will consider their laws ridiculous... therefore anyone that breaks those laws and comes out against them is deserving of such an honor. This is not trolling...

Until China gets their Human Rights shit together, I will consider their laws ridiculous... therefore anyone that breaks those laws and comes out against them is deserving of such an honor. This is not trolling...

This. Liu Xiaobo is a great human rights activist, and is being held in prison for it.

I love it. The only way China can top this is if they name one of their streets "Edward Snowden".

This is like WWE provoke and conquer. :icon_chee Americans take free will past our borders and China is the more strict. It's like a love, hate relationship.

Until USA gets their Human Rights shit together, I will consider their laws ridiculous... therefore anyone that breaks those laws and comes out against them is deserving of such an honor. This is not trolling...

Fixd

I see it as a Win Win if China renames the street the US Embassy is on as Snowdon St/ln/dr . Cause you got an American street named after a Chinese activist who took on an authoritarian behemoth and you got a patriot for the common man (Snowdon) exposing the US government's anti freedom practices.

Well there's no stopping China from naming a street after Edward Snowden or Bradley Manning.
Yeah, I was about to say...this is child's play compared to the fact that China protected a known official traitor (I think Snowden's a hero of conscience, but that's his official status).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back