Blaming Violent Video Games

kpoz12

The No Life King
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a rant I did on a local Facebook post asking if video games are to blame for violence in our society:

I wonder which video games Genghis Khan and Vlad Tepes III were playing back in the day- maybe "Grand Theft Auto: Mongolia" and "Call of Duty: Walachia at War"?

My point is that we, as a species need to stop shifting blame and perpetuating the trope of the scapegoat to gloss over the fact that humanity's only distinction from primal and "violent" animals is the ability to walk, and talk. Since the dawn of time all living things on this planet have used some form of violence in order to survive long enough to procreate- whether that takes on the form of a lion chasing down and eating a zebra, or a bacteria feeding on another bacteria, that is simply the way of this world at a very micro level, and is how we are here right now.

That fact in and of itself should be enough for anyone to realize the stupidity in "blaming video games/music/tv", but then when you examine humanity and its lust for power (Genghis Khan, Dracul, Caesar, Hitler, Napoleon, The Crusaders and Conquistadors, etc, etc, etc), the argument becomes simply ludicrous. We are in a new era of humanity, where we live in nice, big, comfy houses, have "social lives"(instead of spending our entire lives simply trying to find enough to eat so that we may live long enough to procreate and ensure the survival of our species). We have "ethics" and "morals" and we like to fool ourselves into thinking we live in a sanitized, sterilized world, and anything that threatens that lie must be blamed on some external force (video games, music, etc).

SURELY it cannot be that we, these "civilized", "intelligent", "modern" species on the top of the food chain can't still be primal enough to still naturally have the violent tendencies, the lust for power, the lust for domination, and the lust for control that has been in our DNA and kept us alive enough to reach this very moment in time since our inception...no, no, we are far too modern and civilized for that; it MUST be some invading EVIL force that is spellbinding our youth and corrupting their pure little minds...oh, if only we could ban these evil forces, our whole world would be sunshine and rainbows!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break.

Thoughts?

why in the fuck of all fucks would you even engage these idiots in this debate?

We are living in the most peaceful time in human history. Crime has been decreasing steadily since the 80's, IIRC. I blame gangster rap, though.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

is an English word that refers to a lung disease that is otherwise known as silicosis. It is the longest word in the English language published in a dictionary, the Oxford English Dictionary.

We are living in the most peaceful time in human history. Crime has been decreasing steadily since the 80's, IIRC. I blame gangster rap, though.

debatable based on perspective. A.) we don't have stats on "violence" from the past (though we do know life generally sucked ass) and 2.) "we" is not the world. Stop being so Americawesome centric buddy.

Regardless, gangster rap is responsible.

sounds like a 2005'ish discussion when everyone was blaming counterstrike for everything. Gaming made huge steps towards acceptance in mass media the last couple years.

[YT]HzeZhCt5PVA[/YT]

debatable based on perspective. A.) we don't have stats on "violence" from the past (though we do know life generally sucked ass) and 2.) "we" is not the world. Stop being so Americawesome centric buddy.

Regardless, gangster rap is responsible.

"Don't have stats" "Americawesome centric"

http://edge.org/conversation/mc2011-history-violence-pinker

Google the most peaceful time in human history. There are a number of studies on it.

Back