Black/swollen eye

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by blandy, Oct 6, 2005.

1. blandy

blandy Blue Belt

While I did this at BJJ practice I thought stand up guys would have more experience

Last night while my training partener was going for a kimura from guard, as he sat up to secure the arm he caught me just below the eye with the tip of his elbow. This caused a massive swelling about the size of a golf ball. [​IMG]

I iced it last night and when I woke up this morning the swelling has went down a lot but I've got a really bad black eye now. Is there any way to speed up the healing process? I am hoping to get a interview at solicitors next week and dont really fancy turning up looking like this.

2. jiujitsujayhawk

jiujitsujayhawk Yellow Belt

Arnica works.

3. DJGMT

DJGMT Guest

Sorry bro..gonan be about 2 weeks..its a badge of honor anyways

4. Jeremy Henderson

Jeremy Henderson Amateur Fighter

It comes with the GAME

5. yeah yeah, comes with the game but most employers wont hire you if they think your hobbies will make you look like the guy from fight club.

while, all i know to help is ice and a hot bath when you have time, i can give you good advice. say you got the black eye from mountain biking or some shit other than MMA/martial arts (you know they all think 'karate' when you say 'jiu jitsu' anyways).

"out mountain biking with friends, took a spill." it sounds better than, "i was going to my bi-weekly arm-breaking, face-grinding, ankle-popping fight club."

6. diamondsoul

diamondsoul Brown Belt

Great advice, don't tell them the truth about your blackeye, you'll never get the job that way.
    That looks like a pretty nasty hit... after a week it will almost be gone but the brusing will still be noticable, hope you get better fast :) does it hurt?

7. strikeologist

strikeologist White Belt

that mountain biking gaga will make you sound like a yogurt and granola eating hippy. tell them your dominatrix got a little outta hand with the ass munching. works everytime.

8. SSJP

SSJP Yellow Belt

Thankfully you're not a female, otherwise they'd get really suspicious.

9. Get_that_yayo

Get_that_yayo Brown Belt

advice

stop being a pussy

10. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not much you can do, they take forever to go away. People say arnica or witch hazel will help, but IMO it's not true, it just takes time.

I had to do a job interview (for my present job) with two black eyes, looking like a damned panda. What can you do? A: Do not train before job interviews.

11. VampireMonk

VampireMonk Black Belt

drink lots of water, TONS of water,
    keep icing it, rest plenty, don't do any work outs, or anything strenuous.

12. Brandinho

Brandinho Guest

Going to have to agree here. It's BJJ bro, be thankful you don't box or do MT.

Throw a large porterhouse steak on it, raw and from the freezer. It will help.

13. VampireMonk

VampireMonk Black Belt

be moderate with the icing though, you dont want to kill nerves.

14. Michael Wanaka

Michael Wanaka Amateur Fighter

Under his eye? He'd have to keep the eye closed or the fumes would bug the shit out of it.

15. blandy

blandy Blue Belt

I've been using some left over arnica cream one of my housemates had, not sure if its ghelping but cant do any harm

I still work part time in the bar job I did through my degreee at University, a few hours into my first shift of the weekend I got sick of trying to explain what happened so just said I got it playing rugby.

It hasn't actually hurt that much, unless I do some thing stupid like poke it ;)

Thanks for the constructive advice