black belt ++ (bjj)

G

Gavin LeFever

after black, how do they earn degrees or stripes? the 'blue belt test' thread got me wondering how in the world do you earn not only black, but black and x degree or even red?

is it just that the best black belts who are tapping others are getting ranked? and red is to honor the king of the gjj dynasty of the time? that's the only way i could see it.

i was thinking there had to be some limit to the greatness, but then again, there's always a winner and always a loser so i guess that's how it goes.

after 30, or 33, they go red?

also, do other belts get stripes? red, brown, purple, blue?

Fight_Song said:
after 30, or 33, they go red?

also, do other belts get stripes? red, brown, purple, blue?

From what I understand, any additional ranks beyond black belt are mostly ceremonial. As for stripes, I think that it varies from school to school. To me they just strike me as a way to get additional money from testing, but I guess they help keep students from getting discouraged about the length of time between belts. Belt grading in bjj is not regulated in any way that I am aware of, so it is more or less left to the disgression of the presiding instructor. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

yes other belts get stripes too

up to 4 stripes can be awarded on white thru brown from what i have seen everywhere, some schools dont use stripes though

The thing about black belt stripes is that(at least in Machado schools) a black belt cannot promote other people to black belt until they have at least one stripe(degree), so you cannot promote to black belt until your own third year as a black. After the black, you don

Darwinist said:
Also, unless you started at a very early age or were an absolute phenom you should be close to retiring from comptition anyway by the time you reach 2nd or 3rd degree black simply due to age.

Dont tell Edson Carvalo, Royce Gracie, Royler Gracie, JJ Machado or the hundreds of other still competing 2nd and 3rd degree black belts this. Seriously, thats a very ignorant comment to make, you compete at any sport as long as you can hang in it.

I was always told that you could promote up to three levels below your own. Belts white thru brown have 1 to 4 stripes. There are actually 6 belts total ont he way to black. The yellow and green have been dropped for adults. In order to be promoted to black (first degree) you need a 3rd degree black belt. Once one reaches 4rth degree they are often given the title of professor. What happens level 6 and on is usually a political mess. Which ends up on a conscesus of several high level black belts from your own factuon deciding on your new rank.

In the future I doubt they will have more than a few red belts and any given time. Past third degree its not so much your ability on the mat as it is your ability to promote BJJ as a sport.

remember BJJ is a brand new art and has yet to work out alot fo things that older arts (say Judo or Karate) have taken for granted.

red is grandmaster...if u ever see this belt around someone's waist beside helio...run....fast

What do you gotta do to earn stripes on a white(blue, purple, brown) belt?

retrostyle said:
Dont tell Edson Carvalo, Royce Gracie, Royler Gracie, JJ Machado or the hundreds of other still competing 2nd and 3rd degree black belts this. Seriously, thats a very ignorant comment to make, you compete at any sport as long as you can hang in it.

Re-read my post man....

After the first stripe(giving you the right to promote to black) all the additional degrees are mostly ceremonial and don

retrostyle said:
they all started training at young ages so that kind of proves his point.

retrostyle said:

im not trying to support his comment to much but all the people you named have been practicing since they were children.

Mr_Black said:
What do you gotta do to earn stripes on a white(blue, purple, brown) belt?

There are no universal, set requirements: it varies from instructor to instructor. Typically, stripes will be awarded when a student makes a substantial leap in ability, which is determined by his/her sparring in class or performance in tournaments. Once a belt has four stripes, it is generally a sign that the student is ready to be promoted to the next rank by a qualified black belt.

Since I'm only a purple belt and my black belt instructors live in a different state, I have permission to award stripes to white belts, but nothing higher (which is fairly common in BJJ). I'm generally pretty conservative when giving them out, and most students won't earn all four until they've been training at least 12-18 months and have blue-belt-level skills (obviously, some students with previous wrestling or judo training will progress a bit faster).

Once one reaches 4rth degree they are often given the title of professor

im not sure if this is how it is currently, but I know back when Carley earned his Professor of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu title it was a separate accomplishment from his belt rank. Basically, Carlos and Helio both saw that to be the best teacher you would need some *actual* teaching certification in addition to JJ knowledge. If I remember right, Carley went through a two year degree program that was specifically about teaching to be able to earn the title.

I remember this because he said it was the achievement of his he was most proud of, since so few other people ever earned it.

GracieMMABarra said:
red is grandmaster...if u ever see this belt around someone's waist beside helio...run....fast

If you see a red on anyone else besides a gracie...then they are full of shit so feel free to school them.
Only 9th and 10th Degrees are gracies (10th being helio) So technically if you feel like doing BJJ for another 75 years you might get 8th degree, but I highly doubt you would get 9th since those belts are only for the graices. Then again if you are good friends with them for 68 years and you've been training with them since you've had your white belt if they really really like you they might make an exception and if you earned it give you 9th dan but....i highly doubt that.

Most schools give stripes to professors as soon as they get their black belt.. 2 degrees. One on the front of the bar and one on the end.

As far as I know for every three years of continuing to train in a gi you go up one degree until you get up to 6th degree at which point you are awarded them via selection and you get a big ceremony and dinner event in your honour. To get an extra stripe on your black belt you must be certified by 3 other higher graded black belts who must sign your certificate.

Back