BJJ Warm Ups !

879lexus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I find this the hardest part of the class.....But I find myself getting stronger and it's been almost 2 months I've been training... I sometimes wonder the guys who walk in 10 minutes after class (are they trying to miss the warm up?) What does your warm up look like?

Running
Side Step
High Knee Running

Roll out (2 times )
Shrimping (2 time)
Mat Pull (Lie on your belly face down, slap the mat in front and pull all your body weight foward, across the entire mat . 2 times)

Bridging (20x)
Situps (20x)
Triangles (20x)
Situp choke (20x)

Jumping jacks (20x)
Alternate jumping Jacks (20x)

Pushups (20x)
Dip pushups (20x)

Most people at my gym show up fifteen minutes early, we all stretch together (assisted stretches are so nice) then when class begins we stretch for another ten minutes and do drills that work on hip movement. We don't really do anything conditioning specific, we just get extra roll time which is all the conditioning I need.

It's not perfectly set in stone, but we usually run a bit, side steps, high knees, skip (in judo), bear crawl, shrimps and even the crab walk. After that, it varies.

Sometimes we'll rock in a circle and alternate between pushing the hips out, coming to combat base, pulling triangles, bridging, etc.

Sometimes, burpees, jumping jacks, etc. are added in there.

For judo, we do foot sweeps, entry steps, rolls, falls, and cartwheels.

In all of my years of karate, we always did partner stretches, but my gym never uses them. They are REALLY nice and I'd like to start using them as well. Thanks for the reminder.

hey no problem, that extra weight and help really goes a long way to improving flexibility or even just getting a good deep warmup stretch

I feel I'm getting stronger just by doing the warm-ups. My strength and cardio has increased. Even though warm up's is on the border of torture (for me), my body is getting used to it and during sparing, I find myself not getting gassed.

110-150 jumping jacks
10 push ups
110-150 jumping jacks
15 push ups
110-150High knees
110-150 jumping jacks
20 push ups
110-150 closed guard crunches
20 vertical leg lifts-instructor walks across abs while we hold legs at 6 inches
10 rear breakfall on floor
10 side breakfall on floor
10 rear breakfall standing
10 side breakfall standing
Recovery rolls down and back(usually 4)
Rolls into breakfalls down and back(usually 4)

20 Squats
20 Mountain Climbers
20 Dive Bombers
200 Crunches (or more, we do 10 for each person, though it's usually around 200)
Breakfalls
Shrimping
Roll Outs

Then we stretch.

I find this the hardest part of the class.....But I find myself getting stronger and it's been almost 2 months I've been training... I sometimes wonder the guys who walk in 10 minutes after class (are they trying to miss the warm up?) What does your warm up look like?

Running
Side Step
High Knee Running

Roll out (2 times )
Shrimping (2 time)
Mat Pull (Lie on your belly face down, slap the mat in front and pull all your body weight foward, across the entire mat . 2 times)

Bridging (20x)
Situps (20x)
Triangles (20x)
Situp choke (20x)

Jumping jacks (20x)
Alternate jumping Jacks (20x)

Pushups (20x)
Dip pushups (20x)

Ours is very similar...

well our warmups vary from day to day, but I have a system of things i like to do at home before i run or work out:

10 shoulder rolls
15 triangles
20 sitout drills
15 burpees
30 crunches (miming a cross choke)
20 spinning armbar drills
10 push ups with kickout
bear crawl
scorpion walk
pivoted sit out drill
then I tie a belt around a pole and practice setting up throws
20 alternating jumps to knee ride (on a tire)

granted i dont do these everyday, and i take a breather between sets, i find this to be a good warmup to do at home. At the academy things depend on class size. If its small, we may start off stretching and then run around the mat doing various drills (pushups, squats, mountain climbers, bearcrawls, shrimping, forward rolls, sprints, high knees etc) if its a big class and space is limited, we may do more ab warmupsand partner drills.

one of the hardest warm up exercises my coach has us do is windshield wipers. We go back and forth on each side...man its killer!

Does anyone have a source for Gynastica Natural drills???

I would love to know these as I generally don't like traditional warmups, but I find Gynastica Natural very interesting and it looks fun as hell!

What is that like a duck walk or something?

its when you lay on your back (feet off the ground) you use your arms for momentum to rock side to side, scooting your hips out so you can move. think of it as that ab excercise people do with the medicine ball and they twist it side to side, only your moving down the mat and not stopping untill you do both sides

Warmups suck, but they definitely help the gas tank as in my class it's constant movement. We do laps for about 8 mins consisting of jog, high knees, heels to ass, sprints, side stepping, two in-two outs, and about 3 or for times we stop and do 10 sprawls. Then we do shrimping 3x, spider crawl 2x, bear crawl 2x, backwards rolls 2x. Takes about 12-15 mins altogether. The worst days are when we do all that, THEN go around the room counting out 10 jumping jacks per person. On most nights there are 20-25 people so my calves are fucking screaming by the end and that alone takes like 8 mins.

Id shuffle those exercises around every time to avoid continutiy. Your muscles won't improve if they are doing the EXACT same thing day in day out. They have to be challeneged continually.

It depends who is running the class as the highest belt does it. We ussualy do like 6-7 laps, side steps, 3x bear craws, 1x shrimp, 1x crab walks, 1x front rolls, 1x back rolls, 100 up-downs, 100 hip ups, 20 push-ups, 30 cobra push ups, and then the ussualy 20 armbars, triangle and oma-plata's.

its when you lay on your back (feet off the ground) you use your arms for momentum to rock side to side, scooting your hips out so you can move. think of it as that ab excercise people do with the medicine ball and they twist it side to side, only your moving down the mat and not stopping untill you do both sides

if you like that you should love the moped

sit on your ass, arms out like you are holding the handlesbars, legs up, now jump with your mat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back