BJJ vs CSW

IrishBeatDown****

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok... so i looked around my area and i was unable to find a school that offered BJJ classes... but there were a few that offered Combat Submission Wrestling... i've been taking the class for several months now and it has been very beneficial for me, that being said i wonder... what is the difference between BJJ and CSW? i mean apart from the Gi aspect. moreover, why do you see sooooo many successful BJJ practitioners in MMA but rarely a fighter who claims a CSW fighting style?

If you are in the Hampton Roads area like it says then you can train BJJ at Bushido. Tell Allen that Kevin Ray referred you. Allen is a great guy.

yeah... problem is i live about 40 miles away from that school... which means i would be driving 80 miles a day... and spending about 10 bucks on gas per day... PLUS the cost of classes... and i really cant afford that. the school just up the road isn't to the level of hybrid or bushido but those schools are just too far away, i wish there was something better on the peninsula but everything is in VB, Chesapeake or Norfolk.

True, sorry I can't help you with your question regarding csw vs. bjj. Good luck to you in your training.

You probably see so many more BJJ fighters because I think BJJ is more common than CSW.

Just take a look at this board. How many CSW threads do you really see?

If you have a good teacher and good training partners, I think CSW is just fine.

josh barnett, cub swanson and erik paulson all train CSW. check out erik paulsons site for more CSW fighters

When i learned CSW it was really no different to the way i'm now taught no-gi.

CSW is just as good as BJJ. It is a no-gi system of Paulson's personal combination of judo, muay thai, boxing, BJJ, and wrestling. That makes sense because that's part of what he added when he studied JDK. I regularly trained at a CSW place for about 2 years, and I still incorporate it into my style where possible. I like the lockflows in CSW and the "grappling with strikes" that is used instead of simple "grappling" rolling at times.

Both would do you well. By itself, CSW may be a little better for MMA for some people too, IMO. It really does feel like no-gi at a BJJ place. Erik refers to the groundwork as "jiu-jitsu" or "wrestling." I was at one of his seminars today. The man certainly knows his stuff and how to teach it well. Go to an Erik Paulson seminar if you can find one (after training either BJJ or CSW for at least 5-6 months - otherwise you won't get much out of it except confusion). I find BJJ instructors are usually a little more technically minded when instructing, but not by much. I think my CSW greatly helped my BJJ.

I believe most "CSW" fighters either call themselves wrestlers, grapplers, freestyle fighters, or just MMA fighters. That's why you don't find too many guys claiming CSW as their style even if they train it a lot.

CSW is just as good as BJJ. It is a no-gi system of Paulson's personal combination of judo, muay thai, boxing, BJJ, and wrestling. That makes sense because that's part of what he added when he studied JDK. I regularly trained at a CSW place for about 2 years, and I still incorporate it into my style where possible. I like the lockflows in CSW and the "grappling with strikes" that is used instead of simple "grappling" rolling at times.

Both would do you well. By itself, CSW may be a little better for MMA for some people too, IMO. It really does feel like no-gi at a BJJ place. Erik refers to the groundwork as "jiu-jitsu" or "wrestling." I was at one of his seminars today. The man certainly knows his stuff and how to teach it well. Go to an Erik Paulson seminar if you can find one (after training either BJJ or CSW for at least 5-6 months - otherwise you won't get much out of it except confusion). I find BJJ instructors are usually a little more technically minded when instructing, but not by much. I think my CSW greatly helped my BJJ.

I believe most "CSW" fighters either call themselves wrestlers, grapplers, freestyle fighters, or just MMA fighters. That's why you don't find too many guys claiming CSW as their style even if they train it a lot.

awesome, thanks for the info, yeah the guy i am taking classes from trained under erik paulson, dan inosanto, and was an instructor for army special forces hand to hand combat training. guy knows what hes doing, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything or learning an inferior system.

Frodo, how was the Paulson seminar? He's coming to Balance Philly in a few weeks and I'm deciding whether I should check it out.

My instructor is a CSW instructor under paulson and a BJJ instructor (I think he gt his black just before I got there) under soares. Paulson knows his shit. If you are gonna go no-gi or MMA CSW is a great way to go.

He focuses a lot on leg locks, and also on the use of wrestling, keeping a dominant position most the time. Sweeps, take downs, stay on top, pass the guard, get the mount etc.

I trained with Erik Paulson for almost 2 years.

Not only the guy knows his stuff, and knows how to teach, but he also teaches you in a fun educational way. The atmosphere at his gym, and his attitude is great.

I would say something that is noticeable from his training is the constant use of all the tools of MMA in 1, his grappling is insane, he knows every trick you can think on, including his famous "if the guy is afraid of the dark, cover his eyes" trick he taught me.

Frodo, how was the Paulson seminar? He's coming to Balance Philly in a few weeks and I'm deciding whether I should check it out.

It was pretty good. He went over a heck of a lot of stuff. It was mostly a lot of uncomplicated techniques rather than a few complex stuff. We did a lot of takedowns off of strikes, guard passes, leg locks (ask how to do the "invisible leg lock"), a few guard submissions, and a few other moves too. Erik has a cool, dry sense of humor. He couldn't stay because he had to leave, but the entire 5 hour seminar was still worth it.

Back