BJJ tournament day food & beverage tips

SimenB

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello!

I am competing in my first tournament this Saturday!

I am currently 3-5lbs overweight, so will be spending tommorrow evening doing a tiny cut to get in. (Competing at 215)
Weigh-ins start at 8AM, and the first fights start at 10AM, but I probably won't be going on until closer to 12PM.
I will be at the location at 8AM, so I have a full hour to cut weight in case I don't hit it the first time (Which should not really be an issue, but still..)

I am hoping for food tips for this. Something to give me some energy but doesnt bloat/gas me up. Same for something to drink. I'm guessing something with electrolytes and the likes to get my water levels back up to normal would be a pretty good idea.. :icon_chee

What do you usually eat/drink on the day?

Thanks!

I like Clif Bars, especially the Oatmeal Raisin Cashew. They're protein cookies and a 50/50 mix of Gatorade/water. I find Gatorade thick. I nibble on the Cliff bars for two reasons, 1. to have something in my stomach and 2. occupies my brain.

Hello!

I am competing in my first tournament this Saturday!

I am currently 3-5lbs overweight, so will be spending tommorrow evening doing a tiny cut to get in. (Competing at 215)
Weigh-ins start at 8AM, and the first fights start at 10AM, but I probably won't be going on until closer to 12PM.
I will be at the location at 8AM, so I have a full hour to cut weight in case I don't hit it the first time (Which should not really be an issue, but still..)

I am hoping for food tips for this. Something to give me some energy but doesnt bloat/gas me up. Same for something to drink. I'm guessing something with electrolytes and the likes to get my water levels back up to normal would be a pretty good idea.. :icon_chee

What do you usually eat/drink on the day?

Thanks!

Im just going to say this. It is stupid to cut 5 lbs of water weight the day of a bjj tournament. Bjj tournaments usually have matches back to back (or with a few min break). But hey everyone is different.

Anyway GOODLUCK on your tournament man.

What I like to eat is some wheat bagels with honey on it. usually won't make me bloat and bring some fruits and stuff like that. Now a drink with electrolytes is the gerber drinks (pediatric electrolyte drink) in the baby isles i believe

With a 4 hour wait, you could probably get away with your version of R

Eat more meat get less shit. If you are cutting weight with water loss make sure not to drink plain water after the weigh in. You need to replace all sodium, potassium and magnesium you lost with sweating.

That's one big difference I have had to come to terms with myself, coming from a previous background in amateur Muay Thai where I could do all kinds of weight-cutting stuff to make weigh in in the early afternoon then have a good few hours minimum to fuel the body back up before fighting. But all the Jits comps I've been in have pretty much had me stepping off the scale and onto the mat. So if I try to cut a bit I'm dead weight lumping around the canvas; had to get used to fighting at walk-around weight lol.

The competitions my kids have done have had the option to either weigh in the afternoon before or the morning of the event.

If you eat right today it should be a breeze, but IMO if you are only cutting 5 lbs and doing this the day before, you already fucked up as Kurt Osiander would say. You should have been 5 lbs under weight a week ago and then used this week to eat right and get your energy levels back. 3-5 lbs for a 215 lb guy is nothing, but it could still affect your energy and strength to some degree

Back