BJJ Thumb Injury

Spanish Fly

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you who participate in BJJ or Judo have ever had their thumb hyperextended while grappling. This happened to me about 2 months ago and it still has not healed fully. A guy that I train with was trying to pass my guard and i went to push away my left thumb caught in his belt and bent backwards.

Have any of you ever experienced this and if so, how have you treated/rehabbed the thumb?

Skier's Thumb

Go to the doctor. I didn't until it was too late, and now I have the choice of surgery or leaving it as it is. I'm leaving it for now. You're probably too late to rehab it like they would immediately, but uh, go to the doctor.

Similar thing happened to my thumb about 6 months ago.
I went to see a doctor and since it wasn't broken there wasn't much they could do. I suppose a physio would be the better option.

I found some exercises to help with the rehab and also learnt how to tape it up properly for training while it is still sore.

The main exercise I did was squeezing a ball, as well as stretching it out. This really helped strengthen the thumb.

6 months on and I still can't bend my thumb in as far as the other, and when bent as far as it can go feels sore, BUT, it is very stable (has been for months now) and never bothers me while rolling. A nice side effect of the ball squeezing is my grips with that hand got a lot better.

This may be useful.
Also this

But when you get the time, probably a good idea to see a professional about it. Particularly if it is really bothering you.

Back