BJJ Tattoos

I've thought about getting a piece across my chest, but frankly I think I'd have to be anesthetized for the nipple. I can't imagine how badly that shit would hurt.
It HURT. I was biting down on my hand the whole time. The chest was probably one of most painful parts and the collar bone. Around the nipple was excruiating. I didn't like the crook of my arm, either. I'm bony and muscular, so I don't think that helped any. I have zero body fat.

Actually, when the pain got really bad, I just imagined being totally gassed with my 100 KG teammate pressing all his weight on me in side control or half guard. It seemed to help a bit, and make me think, "This isn't so bad".

How bad is it across the shoulder blades? If at all lol. I"ve been told opposite things about it...but the people I"ve asked were either women, or bodybuilder esque guys...soo yea, haha.

I'm planning on getting an octopus on my shoulder/upper back whenever I get my black belt.

I think I'm gonna get a tattoo of tape across my fingers. It's there enough for some of us, might as well be a tattoo.

Ain't a chance in hell at getting white ink to set in fingers lol.

How bad is it across the shoulder blades? If at all lol. I"ve been told opposite things about it...but the people I"ve asked were either women, or bodybuilder esque guys...soo yea, haha.

I'm planning on getting an octopus on my shoulder/upper back whenever I get my black belt.

The chest is painful. In particular around the nipple, on the sturnem and near the armpit. The collar bone kinda sucks, but not as bad as the other areas mentioned. The shoulder blade area is not as bad, expect for on and near the spine.

All places suck to get tattooed, compared to not getting tattooed. The majority of the pain comes from how long your artist takes and how often they revisit areas they've already tattooed

Fair enough haha. I was just curious. In order to contribute to the thread, I'm planning on getting an octopus on my shoulder/upper back, with a Triangle on my back shoulder blade and the octopus' tentacles wrapping around/going through the triangle.

Octopus would preferably be something similar to telles' tattoo, or something like this.

tumblr_m4pxa9JZYD1r6ji1ao1_500.jpg

Or

521942_10201202940109608_971287671_n.jpg

Anyone know what kind of style tattoo this is? And if they're hard at all to find someone competent enough to do it properly? lol

Fair enough haha. I was just curious. In order to contribute to the thread, I'm planning on getting an octopus on my shoulder/upper back, with a Triangle on my back shoulder blade and the octopus' tentacles wrapping around/going through the triangle.

Octopus would preferably be something similar to telles' tattoo, or something like this.

tumblr_m4pxa9JZYD1r6ji1ao1_500.jpg

Or

521942_10201202940109608_971287671_n.jpg

Anyone know what kind of style tattoo this is? And if they're hard at all to find someone competent enough to do it properly? lol

I honestly think the octopus tattoo looks lame... IMO.

Well still kudos for you for not going the typical dragon/koi or whatnot.

Make sure you find a talented artist, octopuses can look fucked up in the hands of amateurs

I considered getting myself something consisting of five elements, get the shapes done and fill them with color with belt progression

I considered getting myself something consisting of five elements, get the shapes done and fill them with color with belt progression

That's actually a rather good idea. What belt color for each element? They're not all obvious.

I honestly think the octopus tattoo looks lame... IMO.

Well still kudos for you for not going the typical dragon/koi or whatnot.

Eh, to each his own I guess. Personally I love how it looks, and as long as it means to me what I want it to mean, then I don't really care about if it's "cliche" or not haha.... As long as it's not tribal...never...

And I was planning on spending 500-1000 to get someone good to do the octopus/triangle tattoo... would that be about right ya think?

I'm also planning on getting something on my other arm in a similar location (upper arm/shoulder/upper back) When/if I have my first pro fight...but I haven't been able to decide what I want to get haha.

That's pretty low on price. A piece that big is probably three medium or two long sessions. Probably about twelve hours, faster if you've been tattooed before. In my experience you're looking at $150-200 an hour.

Of all my tattoos, the ribs were the worst. I did four, four hour sessions and damn was it painful.

That's pretty low on price. A piece that big is probably three medium or two long sessions. Probably about twelve hours, faster if you've been tattooed before. In my experience you're looking at $150-200 an hour.

Just curious, where do you live? 150-200 an hour seems pretty expensive compared to what I'm used to seeing o_O

Salt lake and Vegas. $150 is pretty standard for a non apprentice who works fast and has a big portfolio.

Salt lake and Vegas. $150 is pretty standard for a non apprentice who works fast and has a big portfolio.

150 i was more understanding, it was just the 200 seemed a lot more than what I'm used to haha. I was looking around here, and the average is 100-125 an hour, with the most expensive I've seen being 150 (but the guy seems to be pretty damn good).

Guess I was just understimating the time it'll take too lol. Oh well, regardless I"m planning on spending quite a bit of money on whatever it is that I get, gotta make sure something that's on me for life atleast looks damn good haha. :icon_lol:

Here's my new sleeve on my left arm. I just got promoted to brown, so this one has a lot of meaning for me (the top guy's jacket is brown):

Damn spazzy guys always pulling hair....

This is what the whole tattoo looks like. I couldn't fit it all in the picture:

I'll be taking some professional photos soon for my tattoo artist's portfolio.

Last edited:
Congrats on the promotion man. And you're a baller for getting so damn close to your nipples inked.

Back