BJJ specific takedowns?

YeahBee

Samdog Original Nine
Reaction score
BJJ specific takedowns?

another thread got me thinking

pretty much the whole judo curriculum deals with takedowns that plants the guy on his back, wrestling to?

When I get taken down by my coach it is most often when he kinda armdrags me, bodylock from the back and just drags me down to my front/side. hardly points in judo but alright for BJJ as he has a fairly easy backtake from there

Are there other ones that pretty much aren't in the judo or wrestling syllabus?

Arm-drags, but executed to the fullest. In wrestling, it's just a setup, but in BJJ, you can go farther with it. If it fails, you are no worst off on your butt/back, unlike in wrestling.

Freestyle/folkstyle wrestling is more about taking the back, it's just in bjj no one turns to their back so it winds up with a sidecontrol /half gaurd or gaurd position.

No, wrestling is about not turning to your back. I certainly don't want anyone in wrestling taking my back either! Takedown+position for turns.

Freestyle/folkstyle wrestling is more about taking the back, it's just in bjj no one turns to their back so it winds up with a sidecontrol /half gaurd or gaurd position.

We just had a super duck thread.

Also Snap downs and anything from the front headlock

In gi BJJ?

Single legs and ankle picks are probably the most common takedowns. We're usually hesitant to shoot double legs because of the risk of getting sprawled on or choked (guillotine or anaconda).

I also have seen sasae tsurikomi ashi, osoto gari, ouchi gari, tai otoshi, harai goshi, and then some sacrifice throws like tomoe nage, sumi gaeshi, ura nage (suplex), tani otoshi. The last two are from a bearhug position so usually come off an armdrag or as a counter to a throw attempt.

But yeah guard pulls (sometimes as sacrifice throw attempts) are by far the most common thing, followed by single legs, ankle picks and leg trips/reaps. Hip throws and shoulder throws are very rare.

No, wrestling is about not turning to your back. I certainly don't want anyone in wrestling taking my back either! Takedown+position for turns.

What I'm saying is if I get a double leg in a wrestling match, the person will give up their back rather than let me score nar fall points/ pin. No wrestler in his right mind will stay on their back after a takedown, unless they like giving up near fall points or getting pinned. I don't.

yeah kinda what skye is talking about, I guess a sitout also falls under that category

those are probably not the best option in gi (and not from a neutral standing position)

I guess as redaxe points out, Sasae you can get into a turtle position but i was more looking for takedowns that aim to put people on their stomach

In gi BJJ?

Single legs and ankle picks are probably the most common takedowns. We're usually hesitant to shoot double legs because of the risk of getting sprawled on or choked (guillotine or anaconda).

I also have seen sasae tsurikomi ashi, osoto gari, ouchi gari, tai otoshi, harai goshi, and then some sacrifice throws like tomoe nage, sumi gaeshi, ura nage (suplex), tani otoshi. The last two are from a bearhug position so usually come off an armdrag or as a counter to a throw attempt.

But yeah guard pulls (sometimes as sacrifice throw attempts) are by far the most common thing, followed by single legs, ankle picks and leg trips/reaps. Hip throws and shoulder throws are very rare.

What he wrote.

I add that at higher levels Kata Guruma / Fireman's Carry is not uncommon, and from the big throws drop seoi is the "less uncommon".

Guard pulling is a pretty common thing, so... guard pull is fairly BJJ specific.

yeah kinda what skye is talking about, I guess a sitout also falls under that category

those are probably not the best option in gi (and not from a neutral standing position)

I guess as redaxe points out, Sasae you can get into a turtle position but i was more looking for takedowns that aim to put people on their stomach

Just wait until the guy is leaning forward too far and snap him down so he falls in turtle position. I don't know what that's called in Judo but it happens sometimes in BJJ.

Other than that, you can armdrag or bait a takedown and sprawl.

Just wait until the guy is leaning forward too far and snap him down so he falls in turtle position. I don't know what that's called in Judo but it happens sometimes in BJJ.

You don't have to wait for him to lean to far forward you can set it up with hand fighting.

When thinking of takedowns typical of BJJ, Pablo Popovitch's arm drag to kouchi gari comes to mind, as well as the 'faceplant' arm drag with a forward trip, either to the back or a single leg, that Marcelo and others have made popular. The latter seems to work especially well against bent-over opponents.

I'm also a big fan of the way Jacare combines upper-leg freestyle wrestling takedowns with judo trips, e.g. combining a knee tap or single leg with an ouchi or kouchi gari.

Ive found that snapping BJJ guys down is very easy compared to my wrestling days.

Well stated. Marcelo's arm-drag is very good stuff. I consider that more BJJ-like whereas Pablo uses the arm-drag more like a traditional wrestler would. Cyborg executed two of these arm-drag to take-downs (classic wrestling style really) last weekend in Bsoton. Awesome quickness & power!

When thinking of takedowns typical of BJJ, Pablo Popovitch's arm drag to kouchi gari comes to mind, as well as the 'faceplant' arm drag with a forward trip, either to the back or a single leg, that Marcelo and others have made popular. The latter seems to work especially well against bent-over opponents.

I'm also a big fan of the way Jacare combines upper-leg freestyle wrestling takedowns with judo trips, e.g. combining a knee tap or single leg with an ouchi or kouchi gari.

Back