BJJ & Self Defense, who cares?

I didn't start bjj for self defense reasons, it's beneficial but i hope i never actually have to use it outside the gym.

I haven't been in a fight in almost 25 years (since I was 14 or 15 years old), and I seriously doubt that I'll be in a bar or street fight in which BJJ will help. I'm fairly certain that any confrontation would involve multiple attackers or weapons, and my plan is to hand the mugger my wallet or run. (Unless I have a gun or bear mace on me - then may the best man win).

Having said that, this thread has made me wonder what what different color belts think when they walk into a bar. Here's what I've determined.

White Belt: Bet I could beat up most of the guys in here. The guy over there looks like he's about to start a fight - hope he does.

Blue Belt: Hope they're showing UFC reruns tonight so I can narrate the action for my friends.

Purple Belt: My knee hurts, and I need a drink.

Brown Belt: My wife/gf/partner just texted me and told me to come home soon

Black Belt: I could beat up most of the guys in here, and I'm tired of watching this UFC rerun. My knee hurts so bad that I need a drink, but I have to get home to the family. Oh well, I'm teaching the early Saturday class tomorrow anyway.

lol this is awesome

Even sport BJJ is self defense.

I train to take down, take top, submit or to sweep, take top, submit.

I know how to do all of those things better than any average joe out there in the street. And believe or not I know how to use my limbs and head as blunt weapons.

No one's stupid enough to pull 50/50 or something during a street fight.

"But Cachimbo! You don't learn how to deal with strikes and knives and guns and angry old women with umbrellas when you train sport bjj!"

Neither do boxers, kickboxers, wrestlers, judokas, or whatever else. Yet no one brings up these crappy "Oh your art would totally not be effective in a street fight" arguments to them. Anyone who knows any of these arts would still easily destroy 90% of the population.

But do you know who learns how to deal with guns, knives, and angry old ladies? Ninjutsus, Kung fus, and every other LARPer out there.

I'm willing to bet BJJ was never all that great against knives and 350 pound men hitting you with lead pipes anyways, but what the hey.

Nice, this is how I see it as well. Self defense usually means an untrained opponent (but perhaps street savvy/ brawler) coming after you. If this is the case, then my BJJ will work wonders. If its anymore than that, as in multiple opponents and or weapons, its over anyway.

Well, you know, some people's goal is to learn to defend themselves. It's not a tough concept. I for one care about self defense.

That's great, and as I said in the original post - most of us get into BJJ for this reason. But I guess what I was getting at was that "sporty" bjj will give you the benefit of both. In fact, as we grow more with bjj, the emphasis on self defense becomes less and less.

For example, in the whitebelt classes you may learn basic self defense things such as ducking a right hook and shooting a double leg, or how to escape headlocks etc. But as we advance classes, you see nearly zero self defense in BJJ.

Or is this not the case? As an upper belt, do you still seek anti knife, punch, kick training etc for self defense purposes in bjj?

That's great, and as I said in the original post - most of us get into BJJ for this reason. But I guess what I was getting at was that "sporty" bjj will give you the benefit of both. In fact, as we grow more with bjj, the emphasis on self defense becomes less and less.

For example, in the whitebelt classes you may learn basic self defense things such as ducking a right hook and shooting a double leg, or how to escape headlocks etc. But as we advance classes, you see nearly zero self defense in BJJ.

Or is this not the case? As an upper belt, do you still seek anti knife, punch, kick training etc for self defense purposes in bjj?

If they teach self defense at basic white belt BJJ, you are lucky.

At higher BJJ belts, you are training the same sub moves against opponents that know how to defend them therefore making your subs skills SHARPER.

Classic. Not bad at all for a Sherdog white belt. You must be a long time lurker.

You're literally implying that time spent on the Sherdog forums is directly proportional to someone's intelligence. To quote Ray Stokes from When The Whistle Blows... Are you havin a laugh? IS HE HAVIN A LA-AAAAUUUGH?

Back