BJJ or shootfighting to complement Muay Thai?

afhussain

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys/girls,

what grappling style would you say best complements muay thai...im having a difficulty choosing between a Gracie Barra gym and a shootfighters club.

Thanks

both should offer introductory classes, go try them out and see which instructor you like better. The instructor is more important than the art as both will suit your needs.

I've done both.. it depends a lot on what you prefer (no gi or gi) I don't even know what you want to persue.. are you competing.. is it for MMA?

they are both great sports. I think BJJ is more techinical, shootfighting is very hard as well, but I am a BJJ fan myself, but like Millard said above, go to a class 1st. the class of the instructor and training partners counts a lot

Over the years, there has been so much cross training that the shoot class will probably have a lot of BJJ incorporated in it's system. It all really depends on what you want. Go to the free classes and check both out.

i do both...here's my take.

BJJ is great because it allows you to just focus and improve your ground game to it's fullest.

Shooto is also great but since it involves standup, takedowns and throws, and quick submissions, it makes it hard to focus on just one aspect of the game.

I would say take BJJ first to really understand fully the ground. Once you get very proficient, then join the shooto school where you can then learn to "phase" the BJJ into striking and throwing & takedowns.

i do both...here's my take.

BJJ is great because it allows you to just focus and improve your ground game to it's fullest.

Shooto is also great but since it involves standup, takedowns and throws, and quick submissions, it makes it hard to focus on just one aspect of the game.

I would say take BJJ first to really understand fully the ground. Once you get very proficient, then join the shooto school where you can then learn to "phase" the BJJ into striking and throwing & takedowns.

^^^^^

I would recommend doing BJJ for reasons other people have given- you will gain more specialized techinical knowledge of groundwork. These days, any decent BJJ school will offer no-gi classes...you can attend these to transition your groundskills for MMA. Best of luck!

I would recommend basic free style wrestling, for about six months, then start training bjj. Being able to impose your will on your opponent, will make the submission allot easier.

JKD Unlimited

BJJ is the way to go imo. Mid level kicks open you up for takedowns in MMA. You need to know how to fight off your back if you are a Thai fighter in MMA. BJJ focus on more guard work.

I would recommend doing BJJ for reasons other people have given- you will gain more specialized techinical knowledge of groundwork. These days, any decent BJJ school will offer no-gi classes...you can attend these to transition your groundskills for MMA. Best of luck!

MMA is ALOT different to no-gi

Strictly to compliment Muay Thai then BJJ is the way. You will develop two separate styles that you will be able to meld with little difficulty. It is a classic combination. Chance to train Gracie too should not be over looked. Either way will work fine but I would go for BJJ every time.

the problem with shootfighting is that you don't know who is teaching the clases. In bjj you know who someone is and can easily see his training/background.. Not so easy with shootfighting.

the problem with shootfighting is that you don't know who is teaching the clases. In bjj you know who someone is and can easily see his training/background.. Not so easy with shootfighting.

Great point!

BJJ. Shootfighting is just a fancy word for Japanese shoot style pro wrestling. You've all seen Takada fight, right?

Bad idea.

Depends on where you are, really. In my area, there are quite a few BJJ schools. The instruction ranges from decent to excellent, depending on the school. The "official Gracie Barra" school is actually considered about middle of the pack as far as BJJ instruction. The Relson Gracie affiiliate is one of the top two or three in the area.

There is also a Shootfighting school, but the instruction is not that great. The few from that school that have been successful were high school and college wrestlers previous to joining the school and don't really show any great improvement over what they were when they joined.

We also have a few schools that are MMA-specific, but teach BJJ gi and no-gi. Just as in the BJJ-specific schools, the instruction ranges from decent to excellent.

As a few others have suggested, most schools offer free introductory classes. Go in, take a class at a few schools, and see how you feel about the instruction. Pick the one you like the best.

would you reckon, as a begginner to BJJ, that two hours a week will be enough in addition to my Muay Thai training? Its just that the BJJ classes are a little expensive...do you think ill be okay with this time on BJJ or would i be best off not foing it at all? I dont intend to compete, i just want to be the best i possibly can.

It probably doesn't matter at the beginning. In MT, was 2x a week enough for you or not? It is the same for jiu-jitsu. Shootfighting can be just as good at jiu-jitsu. It depends on the gym. Try a class at each place before making up your mind.

Back