BJJ or Muay thai??

julz122

White Belt
Reaction score
hey i posted a simlar thread asking about base art and what would go well with Muay thai however i recently discovered that there is a BJJ academy near me called the roger gracie academy and now im not sure whether to train at my MMA gym where ive just started to train and am planning to concentrate on Muay thai and some wrestling, or whether to just train BJJ to start off with and then later on maybe start trainin MT?

beware the saying "jack off all trades, master of none"
But seriously it all comes down to personal preference

Exactly. I train BJJ at several places and MT at one. At the place that I train MT, they also have MMA. Since I've trained both of those separately, taught by guys who really know their stuff, I've gotten pretty good standing and on the ground. In fact, I roll and spar with the MMA guys a lot and I smoke them standing and on the ground, and I think it's because I took the time to get really good at each one before trying to put a bunch of new stuff together at once.

You won't be a wiz on the ground like Nate Diaz unless you learn the intricacies of jiu-jitsu and you won't be a wiz on your feet like Anderson Silva unless you get some in depth MT training. BUT... you can still learn more and learn how to at least be effective by training straight post-TUF MMA than by not training anything at all.

I don't know how good the muay thai place is, but it would be tough to beat the quality of a roger gracie academy. Obviously don't base your decision solely on that, do which one seems more interesting to you....

But it should factor into your decision that the best grappler in the world (arguably) is right down the street...

I agree with Eric Renzo, Roger Gracie is possibly the best grappler in the world. I would definetily check it out, they might have stand-up there as well for all you know.

Just drop in and check!

You can't lose out by just trying the BJJ at least once. You may not like it. Just try.

Beware of also becoming a one dimensional fighter.

Since you are a beginner I would say try each one on its own and then stick with whichever one you like the most. Odds are you aren't going to make the big time so you should at least enjoy what you are training.

Do mainly BJJ cause Roger Gracie's gym is beastly, but do some MT every once in a while too.

When I first started I was face with the same problem(kinda). I didn't no weather to do the Muay Thai at my gym the brazilian Jiu-jitsu the boxing or any combination of the three. I liked Muay Thai the must and decided I should just focus all my energy on that, I'm young I got a whole lot of time to be a well rounded fighter. just go with whatever feels right with you

gotta go with roger on this one. You at least owe it to yourself to try it.

do both. BJJ 2 or 3 times a week and muay thai twice a week.

Yep thats the way im going about it now. Im a novice in muay thai but ive never done bjj, ive got my first class tomorrow hopefully. Im intending on doing two classes of each a week. I love Muay Thai so if BJJ isnt for me, i may just end up sticking to muay thai.

gotta go with roger on this one. You at least owe it to yourself to try it.

That's what i'm saying. People would kill for the oppurtunity to train with Roger, i can't imagine having that in my backyard and not taking advantage.

Back