BJJ not given enough credit...

BJJ>wrestling

White Belt
Reaction score
Hooookay, guys. Here's something that's been bugging me for a while. I'm sitting here watching some instructionals I purchased, one of them is supposed to be this great instructional by some bloke called Neal "Mister Armbar" Adams. I say, okay..."Mister Armbar", sounds great. Thing is...as I'm watching it, the guy says his style is judo! And in no place do I hear anything about who the BJJ expert was that trained him! It was a cool tape...no doubt...and I'm not flaming Neal Adams...but if you are going to put out a tape about a BJJ technique, shouldn't you at least give BJJ some cred or give lip service to the BJJist that taught you the move? This tape was from like, the 80's, too...which proves that BJJ was still having an impact even before the UFC.

P.S. I actually also was reading a site where it talked about how Funaki, Shamrock and some other early shoot-fighters were trained by basically pro-wrestlers or something...WTF? I know BJJ gets lots of credit already, but obviously from what I've seen of Pancrase, all those guys used BJJ and lots of it. And I mean, Sakuraba supposedly does "submission wrestling" but obviously he is using mostly BJJ, not wrestling! And even Yoshida and Parisyian that supposedly are judo experts, use as many ground submissions(BJJ)as they use throws!

So I guess my overall point is that even though BJJ gets much props, it might actually be underrated! :eek:

I'm guessing this is a troll as no one could be that ignorant of MA history.

If not... Thanks for a good laugh. Now go read up on martial arts history :)

Rip Van Winkle said:
So now, a armbar is strictly a BJJ technique...interesting.

I know there are other armbars, but isn't the one we see in MMA basically from BJJ?

I hope this thread was a joke.

If by some miracle it isint then you should know that most of the techniques in BJJ including the arm bar came from judo.

TJS said:
I hope this thread was a joke.

If by some miracle it isint then you should know that most of the techniques in BJJ including the arm bar came from judo.

Ok, how much judo have you actually watched? Go watch some judo and tell me how many oma plata's and rear-naked chokes you see. :rolleyes:

BJJ>wrestling said:
I know there are other armbars, but isn't the one we see in MMA basically from BJJ?
Dude to need to take a look at some ma history as mentioned above.Bjj came from Judo and JJJ.The bjj tehniquies are what the learned from the janpanese who hard judo and jujitsu long before the brazilins had bjj.As for Karo he has trained in judo,jujitsu,sambo since he was very young.Please read up on the history of diffrent martial arts before posting obserd claims like you just did.have a nice day.

PittbullJudoka said:
before posting obserd claims like you just did.have a nice day.

Have a nice day...hope you make it to your Englih class this time! LOL...do you evin know why ths sounds silly? but thanks for the tip, seriously.

BJJ>wrestling: If you search for BJJ vs Judo, Kosen Judo, newaza, katame waza, etc. you will become aware that the vast majority of these techniques did come from Judo, and before that, Matemon Tanabe's branch of Fusen Ryu jiu jitsu, among others, and that olympic style judo is throwing centric today because of a change of rules over sixty years ago which rewarded a throw with an instant win and limited the amount of time allowed on the ground.

BJJ>wrestling said:

You my friend are an idiot. The arm bar is found in BJJ but you honestly think it was the developing factor? When was BJJ developed again? Do your research and realize why everyone thinks your so dumb.

Jiujitsu----judo----bjj-----sport bjj

Time line.

Now we can expect every one of this bored who thinks they know something argue over the details... Watch as the war unfolds.

You do know that Neal was hammering out these armbars before the Gracie revolution...don't you?

And you do know that people have been using armlocks and chokes in Judo for a long time...don't you?

Smorra said:
BJJ>wrestling: If you search for BJJ vs Judo, Kosen Judo, newaza, katame waza, etc. you will become aware that the vast majority of these techniques did come from Judo, and before that, Matemon Tanabe's branch of Fusen Ryu jiu jitsu, among others, and that olympic style judo is throwing centric today because of a change of rules over sixty years ago which rewarded a throw with an instant win and limited the amount of time allowed on the ground.

Damn. Good post. I will remember this. Did Sakuraba and Funaki and those people get their submissions and style from Kosen judo and stuff?

BJJ>wrestling said:
Damn. Good post. I will remember this. Did Sakuraba and Funaki and those people get their submissions and style from Kosen judo and stuff?
Sak and Funaki were pro wrestlers, but in japan pro wrestling is still close to its roots in catch wrestling (western submission wrestling.) Catch wrestling appears to have started in England in the mid 19th century (18##s) but its origin appears to be spontaneous, which is unlikely, so I suspect it may have started as a combination of Fusen Ryu Jiu Jitsu with western wrestling. Fusen Ryu Jiujitsu practitioners such as Yukio Tani traveled around and held chalenge matches around this time, including in England, so that may be where catch wrestling got its subs from. If that's turns out to be the case, then, indirectly, Sak and Funaki did get their subs from Japanese jiu jitsu.

Smorra said:
Sak and Funaki were pro wrestlers, but in japan pro wrestling is still close to its roots as catch wrestling (western submission wrestling.) Catch wrestling appears to have started in England in the mid 19th century (18##s) but its origin appears to be spontaneous, which is unlikely, so I suspect it may have started as a combination of Fusen Ryu Jiu Jitsu with western wrestling. Fusen Ryu Jiujitsu practitioners such as Yukio Tani traveled around and held chalenge matches around this time, including in England, so that may be where catch wrestling got its subs from. If that's turns out to be the case, then, indirectly, Sak and Funaki did get their subs from Japanse jiu jitsu.

wow...I'd delete this thread out of embarassment at my own ignorance...but this is too interesting to delete. muchos gracias

There is a new contender for the "absolute pinnacle of irony" award this year.

BJJ>wrestling said:
Have a nice day...hope you make it to your Englih class this time! LOL...do you evin know why ths sounds silly? but thanks for the tip, seriously.

Back