**BJJ Myth - Practice Makes Perfect...**

that essay can be summed up as "here's my weekly bunch of psuedo-intellectual/motivational horseshit, please direct yourself to my website full of horseshit I hope you're dumb enough to buy."

I laughed.

I liked jiujitsu more before it became a whore.

"When I say rage I mean exactly that - I turn into a "hulk" as you said and kill all. Not because I feel like it, but I had to learn doing that effectively."

That is really impressive and if it works for you, then by all means I'm not going to tell you otherwise.

I work with a lot of law enforcement and military that have told me otherwise - I've had a paramedic confess to me of having suffered an adrenaline dump while performing CPR because he was too emotional.

I assume you train for fun and to stay in shape because if all it takes for you to "kill all" is to get enraged, then you are already set :) However, if you feel that you would still need to sharpen your skills for a potentially fatal situation, then I would indeed train as "the hulk" and run your double legs as you would. If being in this emotional state blinds you and prevents you from being able to perform the technique without head butting or attacking your opponent during drilling, I would again argue that it would be better to have that same hulk strength while also having the self control to be able to execute what you want to do rather than what just happens in hulk mode... and such a control would be developed during training.

As the Greek soldier Archilochus said, "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." Although your statement preaches the contrary, I think you are rather the exception than the norm.

It depends what you are training for. I personally train for competition and self defense, so I welcome a rough double leg or an aggressive sweep. I'm not sure though how training a ferocious double leg ends up with you getting kneed, elbowed, or head butted though. If that is happening, then technique is being compromised.

There are plenty of ways to get banged up during technique practice, even if you are doing the move "right." These moves are designed to hurt people. If I am practicing armbars from the mount for 15 minutes, and I am doing each one with "ferocity" - full top pressure, full speed - there's a good chance my training partner is going to end up with a tweaked rib or something like that.

There are plenty of ways to get banged up during technique practice, even if you are doing the move "right." These moves are designed to hurt people. If I am practicing armbars from the mount for 15 minutes, and I am doing each one with "ferocity" - full top pressure, full speed - there's a good chance my training partner is going to end up with a tweaked rib or something like that.

Have you tried it before and hurt a partner as a result? I have never hurt someone while drilling. I've been training in such a manner for about 17 years now. I have never hurt someone while drilling an armlock, a double leg, etc.

When I say "hurt", I mean in the way you mentioned, such as a tweaked rib or something of that degree. I'm sure I gave someone a bruise here and there.

Marcos Avellan, along with his brother David, founded South Florida's Freestyle Fighting Academy (FFA) in 2001, and has trained fighters for the UFC, WEC, Bodogfight, EliteXC, Strikeforce, and dozens of other promotions. He is a writer for the website BlackBeltPsychology.com and is a leading expert in combat mental training.

An important idea to focus on when drilling is that each repetition is special. Each repetition is unique and needs to be hit with 100% ferocity. Too many times I see people get into a training rhythm, where they sluggishly push through a hundred reps, keeping a consistent pace that isn't a fight pace. When drilling technique, take a moment to appreciate what is about to happen, visualize you are in a fight, and fire full speed ahead! If you are drop dead tired - even better! If you feel a knot in your stomach and are dizzy, get up and visualize you are in a fight right now and that there is thirty seconds left in the fifth round of the title fight... and FIRE!!! If your goal with the martial arts is self-defense, then visualize someone has home invaded into your house with a knife, you managed to disarm his knife, you are exhausted, and this man is still pushing forward, trying to kill you and get to your wife and children behind you, who are screaming in the background... you need to finish this double leg with 100% ferocity! That sort of imagination is necessary with EVERY REPETITION if you want to see real gains in your technique.

You must treat every repetition as if it were the most important repetition of your life - and you must have utmost disdain for the less than awesome repetition. When counting repetitions, for every bad repetition I do, that erases ten good ones from my count... this way I can erase the bad repetition from my muscle memory and make sure that this form of punishment keeps my body and mind focused on each repetition. All it takes if for you to get lazy with one repetition... before you know it, every repetition gets lazy. Remember the old expression, "Practice Makes Perfect"... well, it is NOT true... it's PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT! Think about that and what it means...

When doing drilling sessions involving several different drills, I recommend always starting with your weakest drill first. For instance, if you want to drill 100 double leg takedowns and 100 arm spin takedowns and the arm spin is your weaker takedown, I recommend drilling the arm spins first, then the double legs after. The more energy you have, the easier it is to focus on your technique. Furthermore, if you are like and like to drill both sides of a move, then I'll start with my weak side first. Going back to the double leg example, I would first shoot a hundred doubles with my left lead (my weaker lead) and the second batch of a hundred with my right lead (my strong side).

I can keep on going on this topic but we

So basically that essay can be summed up with 'practice it perfect and you'll do it perfect'?

When I was going to post this article, I almost didn't. I thought that of all the articles I have posted, that is was the most "common sense" article. I felt this article was the equivalent of announcing that the sky is blue...

But based on the considerable controversy it generated, I guess that this concept isn't as universally accepted as I had thought.

Thanks for all the posts, both in agreement and in disagreement, it helps me understand everyone and their training environments that much better.

Back