BJJ/MMA in Maryland

Swag King Pony

White Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know team lloyd irvin is the only gym in Maryland creating high level competitors in MMA and BJJ. Are there any other gyms in maryland that even come close to the level of instruction/results that TLI has?

If TLIs gym and affiliates do fall apart from this scandal do you think the quality prospects in BJJ/MMA coming out of Maryland will dwindle?

As far as I know team lloyd irvin is the only gym in Maryland creating high level competitors in MMA and BJJ. Are there any other gyms in maryland that even come close to the level of instruction/results that TLI has?

If TLIs gym and affiliates do fall apart from this scandal do you think the quality prospects in BJJ/MMA coming out of Maryland will dwindle?

TLI is not going anywhere, especially the hard core competitors that are producing results. Don't count on your fantasy of not having to face the beasts across from you when competing / hating on TLI.

50/50 BJJ is in Northern Virginia (DC area I think). Obviously they're not as big as TLI but Ryan Hall is a top notch competitor and practitioner, and an excellent instructor, not to mention a nice guy who welcomes all comers to his academy and doesn't annoy people with his marketing. I hear Seph Smith is pretty great as well, and also teaches there.

Are you looking for a gym to join or just asking for the sake of it? Are you looking to become and elite level mma/bjj fighter?

Are you looking for a gym to join or just asking for the sake of it? Are you looking to become and elite level mma/bjj fighter?

I'm guessing the former.

OP....if you are interested in reaching your full potential in BJJ competition,the results say train at TLI. Its hard to argue with their results.If politics and non BJJ reasons keep you from wanting to train at TLI,I really can't give a second choice as far as results go.

I'm guessing the former.

OP....if you are interested in reaching your full potential in BJJ competition,the results say train at TLI. Its hard to argue with their results.If politics and non BJJ reasons keep you from wanting to train at TLI,I really can't give a second choice as far as results go.

Only results matter...

tbh tli wont go anywhere.
even though my opnion of him has completely changed since the incident, lloyd is still pretty good to his students

Fifty/50 is in Arlington. They have only been around for a couple of years, so I don't know how well any of their students have done, but I can say from experience that there are some very tough guys there not named Ryan Hall. Great atmosphere if you're looking to train hard. Even before the recent news, I would've trained there over TLI if I lived in the area.

I would say try ground control if it is within distance.

Last edited:
50/50 BJJ is in Northern Virginia (DC area I think). Obviously they're not as big as TLI but Ryan Hall is a top notch competitor and practitioner, and an excellent instructor, not to mention a nice guy who welcomes all comers to his academy and doesn't annoy people with his marketing. I hear Seph Smith is pretty great as well, and also teaches there.

As someone who has recently moved to Arlington to train at 50/50 I can attest to both of these :)

I would say try ground control if it is within distance. I have heard very good things about GC. Crazy 88s has terrible customer service, and I never felt comfortable going there. They want your money, then they don't care. It says "30 day free trial", but they tried to get me to sign up for 1 year after just one day of BJJ (and the other 3 guys that were there for the first time as well). But I have heard that if you want to go and compete, Crazy 88s is the best gym to join. I thought it was pretty unprofessional there though. That is my 2 cents.

All you have to do is say your doing the 30 day trial. Crazy 88 is a TLI affiliate gym and that's why they are the best to join in the area outside of camp springs. Any gym is going to push you to join at some point, just back them off if that's not your fancy. GC is a good gym but more focused on MMA, they don't produce really top guys for the GI competition scene, if you want to be good go to 88.

It's funny how Crazy 88's website says nothing about the staff, instructors, or otherwise, it's just basically a copy/paste job. Someone drank the kool-aid

It's funny how Crazy 88's website says nothing about the staff, instructors, or otherwise, it's just basically a copy/paste job. Someone drank the kool-aid

All of the BJJ instructors are grand slam medalists. That means, Europe, Worlds, Brazil, Pan Ams.

I would say try ground control if it is within distance. I have heard very good things about GC. Crazy 88s has terrible customer service, and I never felt comfortable going there. They want your money, then they don't care. It says "30 day free trial", but they tried to get me to sign up for 1 year after just one day of BJJ (and the other 3 guys that were there for the first time as well). But I have heard that if you want to go and compete, Crazy 88s is the best gym to join. I thought it was pretty unprofessional there though. That is my 2 cents.
I live very close to Crazy 88. I did there free trial, liked the school but I couldn't afford training there atm. I did find TLI marketing tactics very annoying, but I agree for competition crazy 88's is one of the best.

I agree, I really hate how there website is done. Crazy 88 has like 3 websites. They could be so much more straight forward.

I'm guessing the former.

Correct sir, and yes Its non bjj reasons that would stop me from wanting to be on TLI. I mainly focus on mma, but there just dont seem to be any other really good schools to push me in maryland which is a damn shame. I live closer to baltimore if that helps.

TS is Keenan!

Looking for a new gym. Good on you champ.

All of the BJJ instructors are grand slam medalists. That means, Europe, Worlds, Brazil, Pan Ams.

Never ONCE questioned their instructors, just their shoddy website makes it look like the entire gym is shoddy.

First impressions and all. You'd think they'd get a site that looks like "THEIR" site, not one that looks like they just took some BJJ/MMA demo site and slapped it on the URL.

Oh really?

Please be more specific. Julius park has won gold medals at all those events? Pleae elaborate on which year he did the grand slam.

I've been to a ton of gyms throughout Maryland.

If you are looking for a good school there are plenty but my favorites have been 50/50 (obviously not in maryland but yea) and Conquest BJJ. Vicente Jr. is a monster. DLR blackbelt.

Ground Control is good but more MMA focused.

Back