BJJ+Macros+SS

Judoughnut

White Belt
Reaction score
(Reposted here because I posted in S&C accidentally)
Hey guys, so I have decided to begin Starting Strength in addition to BJJ practice with IIFYM. My problem is I do not know how many calories to consume to make strength gains. A surplus I know, but I am unsure on how to calculate SS calories, and BJJ calories accurately. I am 21, 170 lbs, 10% bf and tried using a caloric calculator. (www.iifym.com) The website says my BMR is 1872 and my TDEE 3230, (with intense exercise or twice a day.) I am trying to find a more accurate way to calculate my TDEE and then whatever I need extra.

My schedule (proposed):
Monday: Morning BJJ 90 minutes / Evening SS -

Tuesday: Morning BJJ 90 minutes / Afternoon BJJ 90 minutes / Evening BJJ (2 classes continuous) 180 minutes - Total 6 hours

Wednesday: Morning BJJ 90 minutes/ Evening BJJ 180 minutes

Thursday: Morning BJJ 90 minutes / Afternoon BJJ 90 minutes / SS

Friday: Morning BJJ 90 minutes / Evening Open mat ~120 minutes

Saturday: SS

Sunday: Typically rest

Total: 17 hours of BJJ a week

I have been doing this for a month now, I recover well, take supplements and foam roll pretty much after every class and my body is holding up well.

Are there more accurate ways to measure calories burned from BJJ practice? Obviously, I am not going hard at BJJ 24/7. Thanks.

Firstly, holy shit that is a lot of training.

Who the hell trains BJJ for 3 hours straight? Never mind after training for 1.5 hours in the morning! Dayum.

As for accurately determining your caloric expenditure I really don't expect that you'll ever get to a satisfactory answer here. At best you might get a vaguely workable average, but to be honest, I'd focus your time and energy on your goal and the actions required to meet it.

Simplify things down and focus on stuffing your face with everything you can lay your hands during all waking hours when you're not working out.

Finding your body's needs are things you need to figure out. Use your current diet and then adjust a bit and see how you respond.

Why are you trying to fix something that is obviously not broken? (low BF%, good recovery, able to train frequently).

At this point more "information" is more likely to hurt you more than help.

Because I am not doing SS at the moment. I am going to include it on top of my BJJ. BUt I do not know how to scale my caloric intake with such heavy lifting. The schedule presented, is my proposed schedule. My current one, is all the BJJ and no SS.

Because I am not doing SS at the moment. I am going to include it on top of my BJJ. BUt I do not know how to scale my caloric intake with such heavy lifting. The schedule presented, is my proposed schedule. My current one, is all the BJJ and no SS.

If I'm honest I think you're in for a world of hurt if you stack a proper SS regimen on top of all that BJJ. Food ain't going to do squat. (Pun absolutely intended.)

If I'm honest I think you're in for a world of hurt if you stack a proper SS regimen on top of all that BJJ. Food ain't going to do squat. (Pun absolutely intended.)

Why is that? Is it recovery? Risky of injury?

Ah, I see. Honestly I would just make a simple change, SS will only raise your TDEE by maaaaybe 300kcal on days when you do it - so I wouldn't worry about changing very much.

Have you been previously using TDEE to gauge your caloric intake while doing BJJ training? If not, then I don't recommend using it now. You'd be better off making small adjustments to your diet while continuing on with your regular habits (an extra glass of milk or two a day, or something similarly simple). Overhauling your approach of something as basic and intuitive as eating is a last resort.

On another note, I don't think SS is the ideal program for athletes with a significant training load - but that's a question better addressed by the S&C crowd. SS is meant to be done with lots of rest and even more food, and I don't think being a very active athlete in a weight class sport really fits that criteria. 5/3/1 would be an example of a more appropriate program, imo.

Could you explain why 5/3/1 would be better? Less volume and less overall work?

Could you explain why 5/3/1 would be better? Less volume and less overall work?

Progression is more sane, you aren't looking to add 5-10lbs on every lift every workout. It's less likely to interfere with your training, and you can still get considerably stronger - but a rate that's more realistic given your situation, and more sustainable long term (you could probably run 5/3/1 for years, where as SS has a shelf life of tops 3-4 months).

You don't need to gain a shit-load of weight to properly do 5/3/1. SS requires significant weight gain in order to have linear progression in your lifting numbers for a long period of time. When I did SS I gained about 25lbs in three months, and it was DEFINITELY not even close to being all muscle (got a lot fatter), and I think I still stalled out once or twice on my lifts.

Thanks, I'll definitely be using 5/3/1. I want to go down to about 165 and then use now 5/3/1 to build good lean mass and strength to compete at middle (181 lbs)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back