BJJ in Wexford PA--help in evaluating

vlad III

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new to grappling and have just found a new school (open for 3 months) here in Wexford (I'm from Cranberry)...Anybody heard of this school or had any experience? I went and spoke with the instructor today and visited his website (Rodrigo Junqueira - Brazilian Jiu Jistu Academy - Welcome)

What do you guys think? I saw that there was another school on Perryhighway (really close too) that has submission grappling (Home of M.A.C. Fitness :: Personal Training, Boxing and Martial Arts Club).

I'm just trying to figure out which school to go with and how to evaluate.

Thanks

Both are good places. I've trained at both. MAC Fitness has a by-the-class program. They are strictly no-gi. My main complaint is that the last few times I went up for the scheduled practices, they canceled it. Beau used to teach there, but he took time off for some reason. He is very skilled, though.

Rodrigo seemed like a nice and knowledgeable guy when I rolled with him. He was very accepting and he helped with some details I forgot. His program is newer but I like his mats a little more (at least before MAC Fitness's move - I haven't been to MAC's new location yet). He does mostly no-gi and I got 1 free lesson. Unfortunate Rodrigo does not have a mat fee and you either have to sign up or try somewhere else. Rodrigo teaches most classes himself so you get a lot of individual attention from a good instructor.

I highly suggest trying a class at each place. Don't let the gi put you off - it takes only a few weeks to get use to (at least for me) and you can get a sufficient one for as low as 40-50 dollars. See which place is more compatible with your personality, goals, and principles. Both are good places to train. If you want BJJ rank, you should train at Rodrigo's. If you only want no-gi, MAC is probably your bet. If you just want to learn grappling, both are good and you just got to see what you like.

P.S. Required Plug: I help instruct at Team Balance on the south side of Pittsburgh. That's a hike from you, but I think we have a good school. We really care about our students and are committed to top-notch training. Plus you can do judo with us too. But it is a hike from Wexford, so I recommend MAC and RJJ as good places to train at as well. Sorry for the little self-promotion... :)

Thanks for the response,

I'm glad to hear from someone that's been to both. I plan on checking out MAC's tomorrow or next week...I'm going to see if I can try a free class on Friday perhaps...

Both are good places. I've trained at both. MAC Fitness has a by-the-class program. They are strictly no-gi. My main complaint is that the last few times I went up for the scheduled practices, they canceled it. Beau used to teach there, but he took time off for some reason. He is very skilled, though.

Rodrigo seemed like a nice and knowledgeable guy when I rolled with him. He was very accepting and he helped with some details I forgot. His program is newer but I like his mats a little more (at least before MAC Fitness's move - I haven't been to MAC's new location yet). He does mostly no-gi and I got 1 free lesson. Unfortunate Rodrigo does not have a mat fee and you either have to sign up or try somewhere else. Rodrigo teaches most classes himself so you get a lot of individual attention from a good instructor.

I highly suggest trying a class at each place. Don't let the gi put you off - it takes only a few weeks to get use to (at least for me) and you can get a sufficient one for as low as 40-50 dollars. See which place is more compatible with your personality, goals, and principles. Both are good places to train. If you want BJJ rank, you should train at Rodrigo's. If you only want no-gi, MAC is probably your bet. If you just want to learn grappling, both are good and you just got to see what you like.

P.S. Required Plug: I help instruct at Team Balance on the south side of Pittsburgh. That's a hike from you, but I think we have a good school. We really care about our students and are committed to top-notch training. Plus you can do judo with us too. But it is a hike from Wexford, so I recommend MAC and RJJ as good places to train at as well. Sorry for the little self-promotion... :)

No problem on the plug! I'm actually going to be working down in Pittsburgh this summer, so perhaps I'll drop by...I'm interested in seeing my options...That's cool that you guys do judo as well...

Back