BJJ in the Navy?

ESCunningham

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys finally got an opportunity to start training some No-Gi and Muay Thai at a local gym, it's looking like a great way to get in shape for the Navy. I leave for boot on January 5th (I know, no opportunity to train there hah) but afterwards I head to Pensecola for 14 weeks for IT A-School. Anybody know if there's any decent BJJ/Judo/MT down there. If I had to I suppose I would even take some TKD just to stay in shape.

From there I'm hoping for San Diego, which I know has plenty of places to train. I have a friend who is in as an IT and says it's like a 9-5 job outside of underways and deployment, so I'm assuming I'd have the time to train while I'm on land?

Anybody ever find an opportunity to roll on a ship by chance?

Thanks in advance guys.

I was wondering the same thing. I heard they do offer some types of martial arts training but haven't really been able to find anything reliable. But I do ship out one day after you and I'm in IT as well so we'll be at the same A-school so maybe I'll see you around and we can grapple a bit.

Well you will probably have many chances to roll will on the ship. Good Luck!
:)

Last edited:
Your best bet is to use Google. I know there is at least one school in the Pensacola/Jay, FL area.

I know the Academy has an good but rather sparsely attended judo club.

There are a couple of organizations working on getting Grappling or Jiujitsu as an All Military Sport. As of now there are various Varsity or Club Teams throughout the Military, if you are lucky they will have one where you get stationed.

Some larger ships also have mats with plenty of time to train when your deployed.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back