BJJ in DC?

scorcho

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

My training partner from college is heading down to DC for an internship, and wanted to continue training JJ, but could not locate a school. I was wondering if anyone knew of any BJJ schools in Washington. I would also be interested, because I may end up in Georgetown's grad program, and would like to train.

Anyone help me out? Are there any BJJ places in Washington?

haha, If i remember correctly there was like a 20 page thread on this topic a while back..u may wana search and see if you can find it.

there was a thread about this a few weeks ago, if you go a few pages back you can probably find it

the main ones i can think of off the top of my head are lloyd irvin (several schools), yamasaki (several schools), maguilla, and gracie... counting all the yamaski and lloyd irvin affiliate schools and the other ones, there are a lot of bjj/mma schools in DC/MD/VA. some are more focused on bjj, some more on mma, etc... but they all seem to have produced good students so you're in the good situation of choosing between a bunch of good options, just research and try them out and pick whats best for you.

I train at Lloyd Irvin in Arlington, VA, which is 5 minutes away from DC across the Potomac. As previous threads and posters have mentioned, Lloyd Irvin and Yamasaki have several schools in the immediate area. Lloyd Irvin schools are more MMA-focused, whereas Yamasaki (from what I can tell) are more BJJ-focused. My advice to you is to go to the main chapters wherever possible, rather than a satellite location if that makes sense... I'm really pleased with Lloyd Irvin, but I've never trained at Yamasaki's.

I would recomend Lloyd. www.lloydirvin.com

Also, I don't think there are any Gracies in or around DC. I think Renzo in NYC is the closest one to DC/MD/VA.

scorch,

Search engine, bro. :wink:

Georgetown has a reputable Judo club. Very tough, randori-intensive, from what I've been told. Plus, it's only like 55 bucks for the semester!! I'm a try to head out there on Friday:

http://yates.georgetown.edu/instruction.html

In terms of BJJ, the best advice would be to check out the options for yourself and find the best fit. I've only heard good things about Lloyd's school, but they tell me it's kind of far from DC proper if you don't have a car. I know a few guys that went to Maguilla's (Silver Spring, MD) and they said it was good. Jeremy teaches as a Royce Gracie affiliate in Alexandria (VA). Plenty of options so check them all out and see what fits.

I'm a Yamasaki guy, and the instruction there is great. Fernando is a crack-up, Neto is a judo state champion from Brazil and will toss you on your head if you let him, and Dave "ROCK" Jacobs (who posts here) is one the classiest guys I've ever met, period!! They have a satellite on Wisconsin Ave next to American U. The main school is in Rockville off the metro red line. Fairly young demograpic (white-collar professionals), competitive.

www.grappling.com

Another issue to consider is pricing. For the most part, I think BJJ in DC is expensive.

In any case, let me know when you're in the area. I'd like to see that armdrag armbar in person :icon_chee

I train at the Judo club at georgetown and at Maguilla's. The Judo club is about 160 (if I remember) for a SEMESTER...so its like 60 bucks a month...cheapest thing you will get and there are a number of OLD school black belts. I LOVE IT...all during February, a few Judoka from Japan will be comming over. Maguilla is great because he personally teaches all the classes. His stand up stuff is "ok", though if you go for the morning classes, one of his students Jon is a golden gloves boxer. For BJJ though, can't be beat. Lloyd's is great as well. I checked him out and they all treated me as family.

Sorry to hijack, fellas,

Shadowdean said:
I train at the Judo club at georgetown and at Maguilla's. The Judo club is about 160 (if I remember) for a SEMESTER...so its like 60 bucks a month...cheapest thing you will get and there are a number of OLD school black belts. I LOVE IT...all during February, a few Judoka from Japan will be comming over.

Are you saying that GT's semester's are only 2 months long or that Yates will charge 60 bucks a month?

Shadowdean, can you describe GT judo more specifically? Normal turnout? Wrestling mats/tatame? Class format?

I go to NIH judo when I can. Class size has been VERY small lately, and somtetimes class format can be erratic.I remember this dude from GT came to our class once. Member of the Romanian national team. Dude gave me a pinched nerve :icon_twis .

Japanese judokas? Now I really gotta go.

Lloyd Irvin in Ballston has judo classes that I can't believe more people take advantage of. The guy that teaches at this Lloyd Irvin is a former Korean national team member and also used to be the Korean military champion as well. Max number of people I've seen in one of his classes is 4 people...

castigo said:
Sorry to hijack, fellas,

Are you saying that GT's semester's are only 2 months long or that Yates will charge 60 bucks a month?

Shadowdean, can you describe GT judo more specifically? Normal turnout? Wrestling mats/tatame? Class format?

I go to NIH judo when I can. Class size has been VERY small lately, and somtetimes class format can be erratic.I remember this dude from GT came to our class once. Member of the Romanian national team. Dude gave me a pinched nerve :icon_twis .

Japanese judokas? Now I really gotta go.

SOrry, I typed that while working, my math was fuxxored. The semester is 3 months I believe, and its 160 if your not a georgetown student. They have a pretty huge room and matt that covers about 90% of it, its very similar to wrestling matt, but no circles and a bit squishier..looks like it was made to international judo specifications. I go on friday only, all my other days are for jiu jitsu (though for feb I will go 2x a week). On fridays we get at least 30-40 people. About 15 are under 10, the rest are all college age and above. The first hour is spent warming up, calethetics, then doing shrimping and breakfalling which then bleeds into technique. Usually, we do newaza and then standing throws, though not 100% of the time. We usually get at least 30-40 minutes for randori at the end (standing only in my experince).

Dude,

Go to Yamasaki Academy. As mentioned in a previous post the school is fun and the instructors are superb. They also have a Thai kickboxing gym and MMA class of Friday. It is not cheap though. A buddy of mine who still goes there pays $160 per month. The school I go to now is a joke compared to Yamasaki academy. I don't look foreward to moving back to Chevy Chase, Md at all. However, one of the bright spots is learning from Fernando, Neto, Sergio and company again.

El Tiburon said:
Dude,

Go to Yamasaki Academy. As mentioned in a previous post the school is fun and the instructors are superb. They also have a Thai kickboxing gym and MMA class of Friday. It is not cheap though. A buddy of mine who still goes there pays $160 per month. The school I go to now is a joke compared to Yamasaki academy. I don't look foreward to moving back to Chevy Chase, Md at all. However, one of the bright spots is learning from Fernando, Neto, Sergio and company again.

Wait, wait, you're moving to a new place called CHEVY CHASE? As in THE Chevy Chase? Did they rename it after him, or what??

gracie_barra said:
Wait, wait, you're moving to a new place called CHEVY CHASE? As in THE Chevy Chase? Did they rename it after him, or what??

Yeah, they even have a big ass bronze statue of him in the center of the town. They renamed the town in the mid-late '80s (before the debacle of the late night show.) He's pretty populare here. There's even a bank chain named after him. www.chevychasebank.com

Flounder said:
Yeah, they even have a big ass bronze statue of him in the center of the town. They renamed the town in the mid-late '80s (before the debacle of the late night show.) He's pretty populare here. There's even a bank chain named after him. www.chevychasebank.com

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!! lmao

Not sure how/why its named chevy chase. Probably a historical figure somewhere with that name, but don't feel like researching it.

Just realized you are at Dartmouth. My sister is up there this week recruiting for her work...

For the guy who is going to georgetown Judo tonight..I should be there...I am a bit under the weather but think I can sweat it out. I will be the guy in a white belt wearing a gamnest white gi

Back