bjj heavy champions?

bambammccoy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Have their ever been any Submission heavy or BJJ heavy fighters who became champ in the UFC post-dark ages?

Big Nog and Mir are the only ones I can think of, surprisingly HW seems to be the only to come to mind.

BJ Penn.

Depends on what you consider the Dark Ages though. I'm thinking when it was off PPV. Most people probably think pre-Brock.

They're a dying breed. I lost hope when Philo fell off.

Fun fact: When Anthony Pettis won the title this past summer, it was the first time that a challenger who wasn't already an interim champion had beaten the defending champion by submission since BJ beat Matt Hughes at UFC 46.

Fun fact: When Anthony Pettis won the title this past summer, it was the first time that a challenger who wasn't already an interim champion had beaten the defending champion by submission since BJ beat Matt Hughes at UFC 46.

True story. Wonder what the school of thought around that is?

Big Nog does not count as a heavy BJJ champ since almost everybody he fights seems to do better than him in the BJJ dept. I question the validity of a Noguera Bros. black belt...To quote Chael Sonnen..."You can get a Noguera Brothers black belt in a McDonalds happy meal."

Big Nog does not count as a heavy BJJ champ since almost everybody he fights seems to do better than him in the BJJ dept. I question the validity of a Noguera Bros. black belt...To quote Chael Sonnen..."You can get a Noguera Brothers black belt in a McDonalds happy meal."

GTFO-MCDONALD.jpg

My first thought was Arlovski's achilles lock on Sylvia-that was for the interim belt and Sylvia wasn't champ. Good call, good sir. Crazy stat right there. I wonder if it's because the champions are generally so well rounded, but getting "caught" with a KO is easier than getting "caught" in a sub?

the ignorance here is appalling...

Chael has been triangled by a McDonalds happy meal.

True story.

Back