BJJ hand sign???

ShadowNINku

SANDBAGGER BELT
@purple
Reaction score
the thumb and pinkie out from the closed fist....where did that come from???

That is a BJJ sign? Wow, never knew of that. I saw Penn do it all the time but didn't really notify any relevance.

(You might feel really dumb for asking this... :wink: ) Hang loose dude! AFAIK, it comes from Hawai'i. Hawaiian surfers liked it a lot; likewise surfers in California saw them and adopted it. Everyone in California wants to be a cool surfer, so they adopted it. Many BJJ schools in the USA began in California, so they started using it too. It is not a BJJ trademark (although it might become one in the future).

it's a BJPenn hand sign. I don't know of any BJJ's in Canada doing yet.....maybe in time....

frodo is right, it is just hang loose. Alot of Brazilians like to surf and picked it up from that.

lol its bj penns hand sign... you guys are all dorks.

except frodo and laminar.. its just hang loose.

its a surf thing not a bjj hand sign.
hang_loose_klein.jpg

thought it was the Dim Mak sign showing the 2-point-heartstopper-move?

Chuck Lidell does a verison of it. One hand does that, the other hand in a fist and he crosses his arms.

b0b said:
Chuck Lidell does a verison of it. One hand does that, the other hand in a fist and he crosses his arms.

Does any one have an EXTREME urge to go get some supplements with extreme science built into them?

That sign has been around for ages. Has nothing to do with bjj and BJ didnt invent it.

Wow, I thought the hang loose sign was universal. Guess that's another dumb american opinion shattered

The Sickness said:
Wow, I thought the hang loose sign was universal. Guess that's another dumb american opinion shattered
It is. Some people haven't lived enough to understand that yet, I guess...

The Sickness said:
I thought so too, but that could just be a result of going to the beach too much and watching too many surf movies.

Einar said:
That sign has been around for ages. Has nothing to do with bjj and BJ didnt invent it.
No one said he inventied it. Just that he does it alot, seeing as he's from the island.

In Brazil, BJJ and surfing are two tandem cultures.
You

I knew it had something to do with surfing....I don't want to be doing some sumb shit like pulling out the hang loose in NYC....even though I have seen it

Back