BJJ For Life?

you should try judo...:icon_twis

my coach is in his 50ths, there are some people in thier 60ths still coaching and maybe doing light randori with the younger kids

I still get really suprsied when 60+ dudes can effortlessly throw me and I ma a biug dude, was training with this dude in his 60ths, a brown so I though meh he is a rec player, he was doign a ippon seo entry and I figured he is jsut going to do the entries as he couldn't have been more the 70kilos, then on the thrid entry I am airborn:icon_chee, turns out he has been a borwn for 15 years jsut never botherd to to the grading

I'll be 43 this year. I'm now the oldest guy at my BJJ place. There was one guy who was 60ish, but he no longer trains. At my judo club, I am the third oldest; one of the blackbelts is a year or two older than I am, and our 6th dan instructor is in his 80s. My BJJ instructor busts my balls about being old all the time.

A 59-year-old black belt (probably 5'10" 160) stopped by our gym one night and slaughtered EVERYONE. He said one of his rules is never to roll with anyone over 200 though.

I am 42 and still roll regularly, I do Judo, BJJ and some MMA now and then. It's still great fun, although, yeah it's hard.

Mostly I think I have a little harder time than many cause I have severe spinal arthritis, and pretty bad arthritis in all my other joints, my right collar bone is eroded at the shoulder joint from arthritis and causes a lot of pain.

I have broken my back (cracked l3 l4 vertebrae) and torn ligaments, broken numerous toes, horribly broken finger, dislocated thumb, many deep tissue and bone bruises on calf (from Sasae gone wrong), and well, lots of other injuries. Last night some young spaz did a knee drop on my foot (well, my own fault for half assed throw), right on my 8 month old surgery spot, and today the foot is purple and well, it hurts A LOT. But when I stop rolling, it all hurts way worse, and lo and behold, I get injured just doing sitting on the couch anyway, so what the hell. I expect to be doing this for many years to come.

Also, on a side note, my main instructor is a 57 year old woman BJJ brown belt, and Judo Black belt, she's like maybe 110 pounds and regularly schools these young athletic guys who come in. Her husband, my other main instructor, is like 53, BJJ purple, judo black belt, decorated boxer, and police sgt. Both are still rolling strong and hard and doing fantastic.

I see no reason you can't do either judo or jits to a late age. You just keep rolling - even when you feel shitty, just keep rolling. Afterwards, you always feel better.

that's an inspiration

Thanks Dude.

One time I was at this Accelerated training Group thing, and I was worked over for hours by all these tough competitive guys, neanderthals and prodigies all, and after I had tapped out for like the eightieth time from a face ride Kimura, our instructor came over to me lying on my back gasping for air like a dying fish and said "you're my hero". I asked what he meant, I thought he was being sarcastic, and he told me that he just really admired that I was out there hurt all the time and still trying though I was constantly being crushed.

Whenever I think about tapping from a knee ride i remember this and keep going. Of course I got torn rib cartilage from this once, so maybe not really that smart.

I am only 35 and have been doing Jiu Jitsu for about 3 years after lifting weights most of my life. My body has taken a pounding at this point. Usually after sitting in my office for a decent stretch I get up and start walking like I am a 90 year old cave man....it takes some time for my body to get loose these days. The sport is so addicting I can't imagine stopping. Funny thing is when I train all the pain goes away as long as I don't have a serious injury.

i hope to go pretty late into life with it. you can always have a technical match with an advanced student. obviously a 50 year old man isn't going to compete directly with an atheletic 20 year old, but jiu jitsu is about much more than that.

I fought a 58 year old 1 stripe white belt in the last NAGA I competed in.

:redface: I told her she was like a hero to me.

I can't imagine life with out Jiu-Jitsu... I'd like to teach my children some day.

Back