BJJ first ? Or Judo first ?

Andres

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Do you think Judo help more BJJ, than BJJ helps JUdo ?

I think it's easier to go from Judo to BJJ than BJJ to Judo.
A lot of qualities you acquire training Judo (athleticism, strenght, stamina, explosiveness, grip fighting, etc) just make you "ready" or "prepared" for BJJ while a BJJ practicionner might a longer tile to adapt the roughness of Judo training.
I have in mind Mario Sperry and Dave Camarillo who strated BJJ after a background in Judo, became phenom BJJ palyers. (I think they got their blue belt afetr 10 classes or some like that).

I don't remember someone who has become a phenom in Judo after a background in BJJ.

On the other hand somebody like Rhadi Fergusson credits a part of his Judo succes ( he was an Olympian even thoughhe didn't medal) to his knowledge and training in BJJ.
Also a retired French Judo Ôlympian who i forgot the name and who started trarining BJJ while retired from his Judo competition career, said that if he had started or knew about BJJ during his career or early in his career, he woulda have way better results.

Maybe it comes down to the way u train.

I am going to say this every time one of these threads pop up... MODS PLEASE MAKE STICKY EXPLAINING PROS AND CONS OF DIFFERENT STANDING ARTS AND OTHER COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS thank you

try both
stick with the one you like

/THREAD

You guys...

I was just try to ask , from ya"ll perpective, if it was easier to go from Judo to BJJ or from BJJ to Judo.

I apologize, don't speak English i write with an auto translator

You guys...

I was just try to ask , from ya"ll perpective, if it was easier to go from Judo to BJJ or from BJJ to Judo.

The reason it was easy for the people you mentioned to transition to BJJ from Judo is because they where really high level athletes.

Judo to BJJ should be easier than BJJ to Judo because you should be practicing BJJ concepts in Judo. BJJ is a lot easier on your body since you're not getting thrown at the ground a few hundred times per week. Judo's also more helpful in terms of playing BJJ's game than vice-versa since you've got standup dominance, pressure passing, subs from the waist up, back/turtle attacks, and pins. BJJ in Judo needs to get to the ground, but Judo scores for hitting the ground and doesn't allow for the pulling of guard. You've got the clear submission/sweep advantage, but there aren't leg locks, and there aren't really standing passes. Not that there shouldn't be. At least with some of the new reffing there's more time to maul people on the ground...

More than 100 years ago in judo it was recommended to focus on throws, break-falls and standing skills first then spezialise on the ground further on.

Jigoro Kano, a master pedagog made 70% focus on the standing and 30% on the ground as a general guidance when starting to train judo.

In BJJ most schools start with 90% on the ground and try to catch up with throwing later on - that seem to backfire for many lol...

Judo first. Having a solid standup game and the ability to fall properly is a life saver. Plus better attribute development I'm judo imo.

If you are a kid, wrestling/judo... Bjj when you turn 14...

You guys...

It's easier to go from Judo to BJJ, because BJJ is easier physically than Judo. If you can do a high impact standing art like Judo, Sambo, or wrestling then BJJ will feel much easier in terms of the physical toll it takes on your body. It terms of carryover, I think the amount of carryover either direction is highly overrated. Most Judo matches end based on throws not groundwork, and most competition Judo throws either have to be highly adapted or are simply not useful for BJJ. I think the art with the most carryover to BJJ is American folkstyle wrestling (freestyle wrestling has too simple of mat work to be better than Judo for BJJ), because it gives you good takedownss which work well in a BJJ context as well as really good instincts on escaping bad positions and holding people down for extended periods of time, including while (more or less) on their back. Judo has pins but they're pretty basic, and because you get stood up so quickly in matches it doesn't really have this concept of riding people which is intrinsic to folk wrestling as well as BJJ, even though BJJ guys don't use that term.

I think they compliment each other. Judo is specialized in their stand up techniques with some ground work while JJ is specialized in ground work with minimal stand up technique. I couldn't really say which one helps more than the other. You see a guy like Travis Stevens walk in as a white belt and get to his BB from Danaher in such a short period. I remember watching him toss Felipe Pena with ease at Copa Podio. When Travis goes into Judo only mode, his extra BJJ makes him that much more dangerous on the ground. You see Flavio Canto killing people with mostly newaza. You see a guy like Rodolfo with some decent Judo wrecking regular JJ guys standing or Roger Gracie or Saulo Riberio throwing people left centre and right with their Judo training. You really need both or at least some form of stand up combat to compliment your BJJ as it is so specialized in ground work now.

I started BJJ @ 20. Though I never did any Judo til a few years later. My hands got wrecked playing spider guard and trying to do Judo. If I would have loved if my parents kept me doing Judo earlier and then pick up BJJ later. I just can't take that many throws and train the next day or have functioning hands the next day at work.

I am going to say this every time one of these threads pop up... MODS PLEASE MAKE STICKY EXPLAINING PROS AND CONS OF DIFFERENT STANDING ARTS AND OTHER COMMON QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS thank you

We do have a sticky that addresses basic questions.

It doesn't address every common question, however, because then the board would consist of highly experienced grapplers talking to other highly experienced grapplers. Beginner questions are perfectly fine and legitimate as long as they aren't totally generic speculation ("nogi v. gi, which is better"?) or trolling style-v-style.

TS's question is legitimate, if lacking in the required details about his situation. Lots of good answers have already been given to TS's question in this thread. Speaking as somebody who started judo as an adult BJJ black belt, I can attest that it's way harder to go from BJJ to judo than the other way around. Mostly because the big tournament-style turning judo throws are incredibly difficult to execute against a resisting opponent, requiring levels of technique, flexibility, speed, power, and durability that are hard for stiff, slow, heavy, fragile adults to muster.

BJJ techniques, on the other hand, are usually pretty goddamned easy, apart from some of the more comical inversion approaches.

Of course you can always learn footsy judo, like most old players turn to, and leave the forward throws for kata. You see many BJJ guys entering the judo ghetto of breaking at the waist, playing defense, and just lurking for some sucky trip or counter. Hard to get out of that ghetto when you start in BJJ.

Last edited:
judo first. u learn bjj in judo too. then when ur good at judo you can goto bjj to improve it.

You guys...

It is up to the individual.

I developed a phobia about getting thrown due to too many years of newaza.

i developed a phobia about getting leg locked due to too many years of walking...

Try both for a while and continue on with whatever you have the most natural ability and energy for.

I personally like Judo WAAAAY better than BJJ, BJJ is very tedious for me and i have little natural ability.

So there's no reason for me to continue focusing on that. Any effort spent on BJJ would be better directed in Judo where I'm also having way more fun.

My favorite thing about Judo is throwing and falling, the same part most people hate and think is difficult. We're all different.

What I hate about BJJ is drilling some submission setup with your partner is grinding all over you and he stinks. Passes and sweeps are cool, fuck submissions. But that's what most people are better at.

I prefer a martial art with less contact that is more dynamic. You know, more flying through the air and throwing people easily or punching and kicking.

It's way more fun to put effort into something that has a chance to yield exceptional results.

Last edited:
Back