BJJ Etiquette

beev

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys - yes Im new and yes I have a BJJ question that I'd like you to help me out with please, as I don't know the answer. Fear not, the troll remains under the bridge.

I recently started training BJJ and its awesome, but the class I'm at is only once a week. I want to train more, but my instructor said if I went to train at another class as well as his, I would be disrespectful to my original class and the group.

However I really want to train as much as possible. One class a week isn't enough, and my instructor won't train me privately (which is fair enough).

What are the rules around BJJ etiquette?

i don't buy into any of that family or loyalty bullshit. just train.

if someone makes you choose "it's me or them", then get out of there.

cheers lads - thanks for the replies and votes of confidence.

train where you want. youre paying for it so get what youre looking for out of it.

I'm big when it comes to loyalty but it goes both ways. The academy's offerings should be aligned with your goals. After all, you ARE a paying customer and I'm sure your Coach doesn't really have "Special" BJJ magic where you'd have to sign a Non-disclosure agreement.

As other's have said, I'd look for other places to train if their offerings don't meet with your satisfaction.

Hi Guys - yes Im new and yes I have a BJJ question that I'd like you to help me out with please, as I don't know the answer. Fear not, the troll remains under the bridge.

I recently started training BJJ and its awesome, but the class I'm at is only once a week. I want to train more, but my instructor said if I went to train at another class as well as his, I would be disrespectful to my original class and the group.

However I really want to train as much as possible. One class a week isn't enough, and my instructor won't train me privately (which is fair enough).

If they only have one class a week, and they gripe about you training somewhere else, are they really awesome?
I'd say find another academy altogether that suits your needs.

Im only going to learn more by training more. Jiu-Jitsu has really had an effect on me and I don't want to ignore my desire to get better.

At class I am the new guy and although the other lads are all superb characters and I couldn't wish for a better environment, it simply boils down to being able to train more frequently. By training elsewhere, my BJJ will improve and when I roll at my original class I'll essentially contribute more as I will be a better student.

Yep, decision made. By the way this forum looks awesome.

but my instructor said if I went to train at another class as well as his, I would be disrespectful to my original class and the group.

Don't stick with this guy. No es bueno.

One day a week is not enough. Go somewhere else, if he doesn't like it then tough.

I've always been pretty open about the fact that I train wherever and with whomever I want to train, and couldn't give a damn about affiliations and politics.

Training once a week sounds shitty.

I wouldn't do that. I'd find another place.

batman-creonte.jpg

If you go to another club you are Creonte and the word will get around about you in the BJJ community and people will go extra hard with you when rolling and shun you etc. Except other Creontes of course.

Sign up for a different gym. 1 class a week is not enough and telling you as a beginner that you can not also train somewhere else is a total warning sign that the environment at the gym you are at now is not great.

train where you want brah.
Especially if its only because you want to train more than they can accommodate.
He shouldnt want your jiu jitsu to suck just because he cant hold enough trainings to meet your development needs.

Back