BJJ Drill one/no hands

Waxwingslain

oiseau rebelle
@purple
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to bite the bullet and start a thread!

We did this interesting drill at BJJ the other night. Basically, one or both players roll with either one or both hands tucked into (or simply holding) their belts. This will absolutely force you to improve other parts of your game! I don't suggest you do this the whole session but it works well as a warm-up.

If rolling no-handed be careful not to smack your face into the mat!

Anyone else tried this?

We once had drills wherein 5 guys take on 5 guys, teamwork allowed, if you tap your out... I was last and had to fight 3 guys, got caught in 2 arm bars and 1 rear naked choke... :D

we did the drill where the guy on the bottom has to use no hands while the guy on top has both to try and pass....forces you to work on your hips....i think its a great drill

I did a drill at a seminar where you're on your back and you rotate all the way around, following your partner, using only your hips.

ZeMino said:
We once had drills wherein 5 guys take on 5 guys, teamwork allowed, if you tap your out... I was last and had to fight 3 guys, got caught in 2 arm bars and 1 rear naked choke... :D

HA HA thats fucking sick, I would have been talking so much shit while fending them off just to make the situation that more funny.

Hell yea! I play an armless open guard a lot against really new guys. Get's those hips working like mad. I reckon my hip movement is the strongest part of my game, and this drill has helped develop this a shitload.
It's mad watching a dude get frustrated trying to pass yo're guard while you're kicking back with your arms wrapped around your head.
It's fun getting traingles from here too. Anyone got any idea of any other subs you could try without hands?

I got a white belt with a sub from KOTB.

Put one hand under his collar near side, swing your leg around the outside of your arm and to the other side of his head, drop to your knee, squeeze his neck between your hand and your knee.

If someone has a name for this choke I'd love to know it!

It's fun to tap people one-handed!

ClubberLange said:
Hell yea! I play an armless open guard a lot against really new guys. Get's those hips working like mad. I reckon my hip movement is the strongest part of my game, and this drill has helped develop this a shitload.
It's mad watching a dude get frustrated trying to pass yo're guard while you're kicking back with your arms wrapped around your head.
It's fun getting traingles from here too. Anyone got any idea of any other subs you could try without hands?

I do this pretty often as well. You have to be pretty creative with the subs. Even triangles get pretty hard when you can't use your hands to adjust. I've done arm-bar, kimura, keylock, biceps slicer, knee-bar, choke (leg scissors), calf slicer, body lock and once an achilles lock. All take a lot of work to set up and none are high percentage. The achilles lock was absolutely weird, and I doubt I could ever set that up again.

TheHighlander said:
I've done arm-bar, kimura, keylock, biceps slicer, knee-bar, choke (leg scissors), calf slicer, body lock and once an achilles lock.
I call that BS. I got it a lot of times on my dummy.

i got triangled by an almost purple this way, without hands, lmao ;x

We drill our armbars and omoplata's from the guard with no hands, helps hip movement alot.

tudor_bjj said:
I call that BS. I got it a lot of times on my dummy.

Once I tap somebody in no-hands, I don't usually let myself use that same sub on him again that session. Once I get through the majors (triangle, kimura (technically omoplata)) you have to get pretty darn creative. Which one are you calling BS on?

I've done arm-bar, kimura, keylock, biceps slicer, knee-bar, choke (leg scissors), calf slicer, body lock and once an achilles lock. All take a lot of work to set up and none are high percentage. The achilles lock was absolutely weird, and I doubt I could ever set that up again.
I'm not calling BS at all, so don't get me wrong. I'm just curious how you get these subs without your hands?
Omoplata's gonna be the next one for me to try. Keey word being 'try'

one arm, no eyes, 2 on 1, done it sometimes yeah.

I had my arm fucked once by an armlock pretty bad, and I stayed an entire month, twice a day, training with one arm tucked inside my belt. The day I had my second arm, I was killin`. It was awesome.

There is a drill in our BJJ class similar to that. On guy is on his back with both hands under the belt. Then the guy standing also can't use his hands then he will try to get mount or side mount. Then the 2nd part of the drill is where you can use only one hand. Quite hard for me because I'm a BJJ newbie but the other guys find the drill very helpful.

ClubberLange said:
I'm not calling BS at all, so don't get me wrong. I'm just curious how you get these subs without your hands?
Omoplata's gonna be the next one for me to try. Keey word being 'try'

Try and fail and lose position is usually how these go.

biceps slicer - your shin in his elbow, pressing on his wrist with your pelvis

calf slicer - your shin in back of his knee, pressing on his instep with your pelvis

keylock - standard Judo submission from Kesa Gatame (this one is pretty hard as the position is almost impossible to keep without hands). There's also another version that I've used, but it's going to be very hard to describe.

knee bar - laying on top of his leg, pelvis above the knee, legs figure foured around the lower leg

choke (leg scissors) - scissors his neck with your legs. Knee placement is critical.

body lock - either figure four bodylock from the rear or simple leg scissors (guard) on the ribs

armbar - position as Kesa Gatame, with their arm over your right thigh. Press down on their wrist with your left foot. Can also be done like the biceps slicer but working the elbow the other way.

cheers dude, this should keep me busy against the really new guys

TheHighlander said:
Try and fail and lose position is usually how these go.

biceps slicer - your shin in his elbow, pressing on his wrist with your pelvis

calf slicer - your shin in back of his knee, pressing on his instep with your pelvis

keylock - standard Judo submission from Kesa Gatame (this one is pretty hard as the position is almost impossible to keep without hands). There's also another version that I've used, but it's going to be very hard to describe.

knee bar - laying on top of his leg, pelvis above the knee, legs figure foured around the lower leg

choke (leg scissors) - scissors his neck with your legs. Knee placement is critical.

body lock - either figure four bodylock from the rear or simple leg scissors (guard) on the ribs

armbar - position as Kesa Gatame, with their arm over your right thigh. Press down on their wrist with your left foot. Can also be done like the biceps slicer but working the elbow the other way.

Back