BJJ cost more then MMA?

DarthTex

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if is just in my area in Toronto but BJJ schools cost more then MMA schools. I've check out a few places MMA schools cost as low as 20 and up a month and BJJ schools cost like 90+ month. Why the big difference? and also

Which one should I start first BJJ or MMA? I'm currently studying TKD I know it sucks I got dupe in paying 1 year.

most schools that say they are "MMA" is probably bs. unless there is pro fighters that do train there or the classes are ran by someone who at least is credible in mma.

I found the same thing here in Dallas. Usually when researching an MMA school I found that the instructors are also going somewhere else and learning BJJ at the same time. They then come back and teach it their students. I go to a place like this. But I don't have a problem with it. I'm not training to compete or anything, I do it just for fun. But their are a couple of guys that go to my gym that also compete in some of the local BJJ and MT tourneys.

My head instructor is training under a BJJ black belt Robert Defranco. So he's got pretty good credentials. I wanted to learn both ground and stand up. I just couldn't afford to being paying seperate fees for each at the same time.

Yeah mines like krait's club although the people that train here also enter mma comps so i think it is credible.

I'm from toronto and i know what your sayin. i trained at uma in mma and it was decent. the gym was essential a mua thai gym with a mma trainer. i then moved over to rebellion to train straight jitz. what i found was that if you want to improve your ground game fast you should train straight jitz. at a gym thats straight jitz you find a lot more depth in skill and opponents. if you want to learn striking along with ground work, an mma class at a thai gym is probably a good choice. as for the cost difference, who knows, i find you usually get what you pay for. That being said, uma was a exception because you can train thai or mma.

You don't need a black belt in jui-jitsu to teach MMA. For example, your trainer could be Frank Trigg or Pat Miletech. A BJJ black belt is going to charge you more because he invested thousands in his training. A guy who only did wrestling, boxing, and some sub grappling is going to invest a lot less in his expertise than Mr Blakc belt in BJJ who spent a crapload of money taking privates from Rickson Gracie...

The MMa guy may be the better fighter, but he wil charge less because it (possibly) costs less to produce a good MMa guy than a good BJJ guy...

DarthTex said:
I don't know if is just in my area in Toronto but BJJ schools cost more then MMA schools. I've check out a few places MMA schools cost as low as 20 and up a month and BJJ schools cost like 90+ month. Why the big difference? and also

Which one should I start first BJJ or MMA? I'm currently studying TKD I know it sucks I got dupe in paying 1 year.

JKD when practiced they way it was meant to be is MMA,

Bruce Lee said I take what works and make it my own, MMA does that all the time if Bruce were alive he'd incorporate grappling into Jeet Kune Do. You see fighters all the time adapting moves they have seen in other matches and have been proven effective. Anaconda Choke just one example.

oh you said TKD...oh...yeah that sucks, sorry about that

"MMA" is becoming a trend of any school that teaches more than one martial art so check on them closely.

DarthTex said:

Maybe you could go see your doctor complaining that the TKD and all its high kicking and such is jacking up your legs and back, and you think that it would not be medically possible to continue training. If your doctor agrees, maybe he can write a note saying this, so you can get out of your TKD contract and switch to grappling.

DMcKayBJJ said:
Maybe you could go see your doctor complaining that the TKD and all its high kicking and such is jacking up your legs and back, and you think that it would not be medically possible to continue training. If your doctor agrees, maybe he can write a note saying this, so you can get out of your TKD contract and switch to grappling.

I like where your heads at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back