BJJ Book Recommendations

Callow

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in Ju-Jitsu for around 8 months now, slowly learning new aspects of the game day by day. I just wondered if there are any decent books around that I can learn more about BJJ, regarding conditioning, techniques, diet, training and so on.

Thanks

saulo's book "Jiu JItsu University"

gAlvao's book "12 months to better BJJ"

Penn's "Closed Guard"

Thanks, I will take a look into these books. Hopefully I can learn and improve my skills from reading these books.

i agree with the suggestions above. i have saulo's book and galvao's book. i have been able to add stuff from both books to my go to game.

i've peeked at bj penn's book. ive taken a few things from it and tried it out.

often times the new shit we see in books doesn't work immediately. what ive found helpful for me is to try some new shit for a couple of weeks. don't force it but if you see an opportunity, go for it. if it doesnt work, either put it on the shelf for later or drill it ad nauseum and practice it on lesser skilled dudes. if you are one of the lesser skilled dudes, still work on it with guys of equal skill level. if it works on lesser or same skilled dudes, look at what, how and when it worked and start to break it down from the set up to the completion. you may find that something in the book isnt for you and you come up with set ups that work for you. no matter what, your game will evolve.

all that to say, i agree with what was said above.

id also throw in the essential guard

saulo's book "Jiu JItsu University"

gAlvao's book "12 months to better BJJ"

Penn's "Closed Guard"

Thanks a lot for including two of my books (Saulo's and Galvao's), Wolfman!!! Its awesome to see all of our work appreciated!!

Kevin Howell

Yeah, I also recommend Jiu-Jitsu University and Galvao's Drill to Win. JJU is like my bible.

JJU is amazing

I've heard great things about Galvao's book

Pretty much anything from victory belt is good.

Today I just picked up the Jackson's ground game book and all I can say is WOW it's like a no-gi version of JJU. Ton's of great fundamentals (sweeps, subs, transitions, escapes) from every ground postion, well organized and has some focus on conditioning and diet. One of the best BJJ related purchases I've made in a long time.

JJU is amazing

I've heard great things about Galvao's book

Pretty much anything from victory belt is good.

Today I just picked up the Jackson's ground game book and all I can say is WOW it's like a no-gi version of JJU. Ton's of great fundamentals (sweeps, subs, transitions, escapes) from every ground postion, well organized and has some focus on conditioning and diet. One of the best BJJ related purchases I've made in a long time.

Ok, I'll definitely have to look at Jackson's Ground Game if that's the case.

Jiu Jitsu University is a great book. Personally, I don't find I don't improve too much from books due to not seeing the moves/technique applied in real time. I own Jiu Jitsu University but I also own two sets of Saulo's DVD's. You may want to consider purchasing DVD's. They're more expensive but I believe I've benefited a lot more from them than books. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
add Mastering Jujitsu to the list, more theory than specific techniques

Path to the blackbelt by Rodrigo Gracie/ Ki d peligro is a great book.

Don't like some of the stuff in Saulo's book personally.

BJJ Blackbelt techniques from JJ Machado is also a very good book!

Our school has the common "two-tier" structure. We have a "beginner" class where the blue belt curriculum is gone over a lot. We also have an advanced class for those sick of drilling the Rorion pass for the 1,000,000 time. I must admit I find the advanced class much more exciting these days, although it never hurts to review the basics. The beginner class is just a cluster. You might be training with a high blue belt or a first week spazz that will be gone next month. It gets a little tiresome. It's just nice to train with guys who kind of all know what is going on.

I've always wondered why schools don't pay more attention to the newbs. It is soooooooo hard at first to stick with BJJ. I see a lot of poor attitudes towards complete beginners from some schools. Seems bad for business to me..

Thanks a lot for including two of my books (Saulo's and Galvao's), Wolfman!!! Its awesome to see all of our work appreciated!!

Kevin Howell

not a problem - both books are fantastic and have added to my game - although i just got the galvao book about a month ago.

the saulo book is my bible.......lol

or the original ts could get mastering the twister and be like ari bolden..lol

j/k:icon_twis

Machida Book - Karate for MMA has a great grappling section.

61inoidqI2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

go with university of jiu-jitsu. you will not be disappointed. i always consult it still and i've had it for a couple of years now.

Here are some of my favorite BJJ (or closely related) books:

- Mastering Jujitsu with John Danaher - I say with John instead of Renzo because it is almost completely a writing book instead of photography/instructional.

- Path to Black Belt - There are some great fundamental basics in here and I loved this one when it first came out.

- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique w Royler and Renzo. This is the first BJJ book that I got and it has stayed with me!

- Fighting Judo with Kashiwazaki - An absolutely beautiful book that covers a lot of Kashiwazaki's newaza in rich black and white photos.

- Strategic Guard with Ed Benneville - Ed outdid himself with this outstanding last book in his detail oriented series.

- Strategic Guard with Ed Benneville - Ed outdid himself with this outstanding last book in his detail oriented series.
this and the passing guard and guard book I could not recommend enough. they are my fav 3 bjj books by far.

they have flow charts at the end.

i just wish they would come out with more books.

Eddie Bravos: Mastering the Rubber Guard. BJ Penns Brazlian jiu jitsu guard books are great

Back