BJJ Blues

ANTHRAX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I've been training bjj for a few months and I've noticed that when we do our warmups I have a little trouble with the forward roll!

I start to get a bit dizzy and sometiems I lose my balance, but the funny thing is when I do the backward rolls it's fine?!

Anyone have any idea if it's normal or if it's a bad thing?

Other than that everything's great I actually live playing spiderguard and I'm also gaining a interest in leg locks.

I hope you guys who train in bjj are having a blast like I am!

Any problems you have in executing the basic forward roll will be corrected by only two things: time, and practice. Keep doing it. If something is wrong, figure out what that is. Just keep doing it. Don't stop.

As an aside, I have never attempted to play spider guard in my entire life and probably never will, but I do enjoy leg locking.

It's probably cancer, I'm sorry.

Scratch that. Certainly cancer!

It's probably cancer, I'm sorry.

Scratch that. Certainly cancer!
no, no ... It's Lupus.

to OP: a few months is probably a little early to dive into spider guard. You want to make sure you have your fundamentals down to a science before playing with open guards. and beware - it may not seem like now, but grip heavy guards will maul for fingers over time. I'd focus on other guards unless you feel like spider guard is your bjj life calling.

Side note: super hardcore name bro

Last edited:
You'll get used to it. You are probably doing a forward roll much faster than the backwards roll, thus getting you dizzy. Try multiple consecutive back rolls super fast and report back.

Probably AIDS though

I'm the opposite. Can do forward rolls all the way back and down the mat. do 2-3 backwards rolls and the room is spinning. After 8 years still the same. I backwards roll down the mat and do my last one and then sit there for 10 seconds to regain my bearings.

fyi i still get dizzy from forward rolls after 5 years

I've been training for like 3 years and I second this. I really hate fucking rolls. A couple is fine but when I have to roll across the room first forward then backwards I get dizzy and have a minor headache for like 2-3 minutes. It's no big deal but it gets annoying after a while.

After three forward rolls in a row I get up and run like I'm drunk.

Don't feel like you have to roll immediately upon standing up from the last one.

If you're able to take a step and roll on the other side.

No need to rush. Especially if it's for bjj. Quality is the key.

6 years of Judo and sometimes I feel it when I try to bang out as many rolls as I can in the length of the mat.

no, no ... It's Lupus.

to OP: a few months is probably a little early to dive into spider guard. You want to make sure you have your fundamentals down to a science before playing with open guards. and beware - it may not seem like now, but grip heavy guards will maul for fingers over time. I'd focus on other guards unless you feel like spider guard is your bjj life calling.

Side note: super hardcore name bro

Thanks guys I guess I'll have to break it to my family that I have a strange case of cancer and lupus.....

And thanks I've had this name on other forums for a while lol

If that is judo roll then keep your eyes on your slapping palm. If that is a simple roll then keep your eyes on one point on your body somewhere. This will make you less dizzy.

I thought this thread was going to be about the depression that comes with a blue belt because you feel like you aren't progressing as quickly.

I've trained BJJ for 5 years and did gymnastics for about 8 years, I still sometimes get the wobbles on forward rolls, especially if I go fast.

Back