• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BJJ Belts; Which brand is the best?

pogii

White Belt
Reaction score
I need some input on what you guys think because I was thinking of getting an Isami but with all that time and work.. I might as well get it when I get promoted to blue belt.

For now, I want to know whats good for a white belt to use daily. I heard good things about Koral but as I said before, I want you guys' input on it.

Thanks~

If you like stiff belts, the Gameness is nigh indestructible. A lot of people hate'em, but I like mine -- I just tie it in a "superlock" knot and never worry about it falling off for hours of rolling on end! :D

But if you like limp belts or don't know how to tie a belt well... avoid the Gameness at all costs haha. The OTM belts might be more up your alley instead.

I have a Kaataro. Although it is a really nice looking belt and is great quality (hasn't shredded or faded much at all), it shrank quite a bit (even though it has never been put it in the dryer) and it feels like its too thick to stay tied.

It's such a nice looking belt, people actually comment on how it looks. Just really annoying that it comes loose all the time.

http://www.kataaro.com/Departments/Belts/Ju-jitsu-Belts.aspx

Anyone try X-Guard belts? They look nice and thick and I'm digging the white kanji.

productsplash_belts.jpg

Scramble looks pretty hefty too, but the kanji is hard to read and I hear they don't break-in well.

scramble-bjj-belt.jpg

I just bought a Gameness and it's great. Really thick and sturdy. I've had experience with Kieko, fuji and SYR belts. The Kieko is my favorite by far, followed by the Gameness then Fuji. Depends on how thick you like your belt.

I need some input on what you guys think because I was thinking of getting an Isami but with all that time and work.. I might as well get it when I get promoted to blue belt.

I have an Isami belt and it's perfect. It's a royal blue and has faded nicely while not fraying. It's extremely well-made. Light, durable, solid, and has a certain denseness without being too thick.

Get the made in Japan version. I've heard the made in China one is flimsy. It's only $5 USD more.

I have an Isami belt and it's perfect. It's a royal blue and has faded nicely while not fraying. It's extremely well-made. Light, durable, solid, and has a certain denseness without being too thick.

Get the made in Japan version. I've heard the made in China one is flimsy. It's only $5 USD more.
I just ordered a made in Japan one in Size A1. My ideal length is around 105-108 inches which put me right in between A1 and A2 sizes, so I opted for A1.

After being broken in, what's the length and size of yours? /nohomo

I don't know I like the idea of the frayed belts :/ which belts fray? I ask cause when I move into blue I am expecting a long haul there.

I have currently a submission belt which is thick and depending on how you tie it stays in that crossed knot. quality belt.

I've seen a few frayed Keiko belts. I don't think I have noticed any other frayed belts.

I've seen a few frayed Keiko belts. I don't think I have noticed any other frayed belts.

Ah... naturally they're the most common belts in our gym (and given out in our gym) I was going to buy a kataaro anyway, but I feel thats quite an investment for a starting promotion.

Thanks for the reply mate

are all padilla and sons belts woven as if they were gi material? i saw one in person and it looked great but the pics on their website seem as if they aren't gi material. the site gives no description either. great price though and i feel i wanna impulse buy one now for my next promotion.

https://store.matrat.us/kimono-belts-s/1818.htm

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Isami. They also let you customize the inner material and the outer material.

Inner Material:

Soft core
1. Cotton
2. Sashiko
3. Felt

Thick core
1. Double Cotton + Additional Twill
2. Double Cotton + Twill + Sashiko

Outer Material:

1. Katsuragi Cotton Twill (All colors)
2. Hachijo Special Weave Cotton
3. Satin
4. Silk
5. Tetron

Also, for embroidery, you can choose:

1. Embroidery after the belt is constructed. (Will show through both sides)
2. Embroidery before the belt is constructed. (Will show on front only, but thread goes through the letters)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back