bjj and the millitary

raines513

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I love BJJ, Its one of the only things that motivates me at all. I train 5 to 6 times a week and compete as much as I can, Ive been doing it for about 7months and im getting pretty goo due to my hard work and my training regimen.

I have signed up for the NAVY and even tho I will probably have another six months to train before I leave, Does anyone know if my training will be halted for the next 4 years or will I have time (when im not on a ship) to train BJJ?

I did 9 years in the Marine Corps and did a 7 month tour on a Navy boat. Those dudes work crazy long hours, when you're out at sea there's really no time for anything but work and sleep.

But when you're not at sea you shouldn't have any problems except finding a decent place to train. Military towns aren't known for having good life support, it's usually hit or miss.

I can tell you though that if you are going to be a Corpsman, you can "go green side" and do all of your tour with the Marines. And there you can get yourself involved with the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. It's not BJJ, but there is a shit ton of grappling involved. My Battalion used to also lets its guys who were trained fight amateur/professional fights. Brian Stann is a good example, while not with my battalion, he was fighting professionally while still serving.

Hope it helps

Try to get on a carrier.

They will have BJJ and other activities on the ship. It maybe hit or miss though. I wasn't a participant back then, but 1 cruise they had some very good guys so they were able to have some good matches. Another cruise it was all beginners so I guess for the more advanced guys they spend there time teaching what they knew.

If that doesn't work out depending on your rate you can end up on shore. You will be able to do whatever u want and make sure you look for the discount. You maybe able to get up to 10 percent off where u train at

I was in the Marines and started training BJJ while I was in. I loved it and trained nonstop for 6 months, but then was deployed for 6 months, which sucked. I eventually started up again when I came back to the US, but it really sucked to have to stop.

Back